Udemy

Put Options: Buying vs. Selling

A free video tutorial from Kal Zurn
Option Trader | Founder of "Option Trading for Rookies"
Rating: 4.7 out of 5Instructor rating
7 courses
77,781 students
Put Options:  Buying vs. Selling

Lecture description

In this lecture we discuss buying put options vs selling put options.

You will learn how stock options work, how to use leverage, probability of profit, time to expiration, strike stock adjustment to your advantage and how to trade options effectively and profitably.

I will teach you the foundation for creating option strategies for consistent income, and option trading for a living.

Options trading is made easy:  This course is packed with practical, insightful and educational option material.  You will learn all about stock options, option investing strategies, call options, put options, buying options versus selling options and other option strategies for income. 

Learning how to trade options has never been easier.  We cover successful option trading strategies, options basics, how to do options trading and how to trade options for income.

Learn more from the full course

Options Trading for Rookies: Complete Guide to Stock Options

Learn basic and advanced option trading strategies in one course, including covered calls, naked puts & iron condors

03:06:55 of on-demand video • Updated April 2024

Comprehensive course on Stock Options
Soup to nuts of Trading Options
Finally understand Options
English [Auto]
So we learned about the call side of trading, right? We because if we think the stock's going up with some of we think they're going down. We learned about obviously undefined risk versus pops. So we're going to need to learn the flip side of things, which is the puts out of things and puts are obviously the exact opposite. We buy it, put everything, the stock is going down and we sell it. But if we believe the stock is going up. But like I always like to do a quick recap. So as far as calls go, we're talking about the option contract. Again, remember, it's two parties and we buy a call if we think the stock is going up and we sell a call if we think the stock is going down, which is illustrated right here in this nice little chart. And as always, we're always looking to get the mid-price, whether we buy or sell, because that's the fairest price for both parties. Nobody's getting taken advantage of. So how does it look for puts? Well, it's the exact opposite. Same thing. Still two parties. But in the case of puts, we buy a put. If we believe the stock is going down and we sell a put if we believe the stock is going up, which is illustrated right here on this nice little chart. And again, always looking for the mid-price. So what we can learn today? Well, we're can do the same thing we did with calls, but now we're gonna look at them with puts. We're going to look at break even price and probability of profit poppy and the formulas for the puts and risk versus poppy. Again, try to look at that undefined risk versus the poppy. In the case of puts, why do we ever buy puts? The exact same reason we buy cost because of this potential, this undefined profit potential. But when we buy options, what's working against us? Everything. The poppy is working against us. On average, it's only a 35% probability of making money when we sell. I mean, when we buy puts in this case, we're going to lose 65% of the time break even. Price is working against us as we'll see. So in the case of buying puts three out of four scenarios are losers. Remember we want the stock to go down. So here, if the stock goes up, we obviously lose. The stock remains unchanged, we lose even the stock is down to a small and medium amount. We generally lose only when the stock is down big are we going to be a winner. And time is working against us when we buy an option because we're running out of time. The move has to happen in a certain time window or we lose as well. So if these are the buy side pros and cons, obviously we've already learned that the sell side should be the exact opposite. And it is everything that worked against us when buying works for us when we sell. So probability of profit is the exact opposite. It was for buying. We have a 65% win percentage, so 65% of the time we're going to win as opposed to 35 break even. Price now works for us as we'll see. And in three out of four scenarios, we're a winner. Stock goes up, stays unchanged, or goes down a small or medium amount. We're going to win. Only when the stock's down big are we really going to be a loser. And time works for us as well. So what's the con? Well, it's a pretty big con, which is this undefined loss. If things go against us horribly, we can take a huge loss on something like this.