Critical thinker, researcher and earth & life scientist
Hi there! Nice to meet you.
So you want to know who I am, eh?
Well, I launched my business SmarterScience over two decades ago when I was still living in Amsterdam. Then I moved to the UK. I've also lived in the US.
I currently only have one free course on Udemy, "Bioethics - the ethics of everyday life". It contained 25 lectures in 7 sections, with over 4 hours of video, lots of resources and many assignments.
Udemy gave me the choice between selecting "English UK" and "English US" as course language. Really, Udemy? The way I see it, that is a bit limited!
I am a knowledgeable instructor who provides you with valuable information and helpful practical activities as well as clear explanations.
* I hold a teaching certificate from VU University Amsterdam and have taught graduate students at VU University Amsterdam and the University of Twente, both in the Netherlands.
* I have often been told that I am a surprisingly patient teacher, notably when I was helping people with computer issues and with setting up websites. In one instance, this came from an Englishwoman who used to be an English teacher in her home country but then moved to Amsterdam. So that was a real compliment.
* I also still remember how much I enjoyed it when I was able to support a Master's student well when I was living in the US. She was about to graduate and thought the whole thing was about to fall apart when someone on her graduation committee gave her a long list with highly critical questions. The student in question was pregnant and was dreading having to sign up for another year to be able to graduate so the situation was very stressful for her. Fortunately, I was able to see where the committee member was coming from, what the reasoning was behind his questions, which helped her a lot.
* I was a board member of the Environmental Chemistry (and Toxicology) Section of the Royal Netherlands Chemical Society and of NIMF, a Dutch organization for women in science and technology for about three years.
* I was an associate editor for the international newsletter of the US-based Geochemical Society for over a decade.
* I am the author of a book on the new eugenics (“We need to talk about this”).
* I have written about science and technology, for example, for the international company Arcadis and for Dutch versions of the For Dummies books.
* I used to be a member of Toastmasters of The Hague.
I hope you will share your own story with me, too.
Anything else you want to know? Please ask. You can also find me in places like Telegram and LinkedIn.
Have a wonderful day.