Award-Winning Author and Acclaimed Story Coach
Nothing makes me happier than cheering the progress of writers I’ve taught.
"Barbara, your course helped me believe in the story I want to write, and your clear presentations filled me with enthusiasm. The videos offer a wealth of examples for story development. Your course was the boost I needed. Thank you.” — Linda Sievers
Now, here’s a little about me.
I’m an award-winning novelist. Over half a million copies of my books have been sold in seven countries.
I’m an acclaimed writing coach. Writers I’ve taught have achieved success as award-winning authors.
I’ve taught writers at the University of Toronto and am a frequent guest presenter at international writers' conferences from Chicago to London, England.
My series of historical novels, The Thornleigh Saga, is set in 16th-century England and follows a middle-class family’s rise through three generations and three Tudor reigns, from Book #1 THE QUEEN’S LADY to Book #7 THE TRAITOR’S DAUGHTER.
· “Riveting Tudor drama” — USA Today
· “A classic historical novel – sweeping, gritty and realistic.” — Historical Novel Society
My thrillers include THE EXPERIMENT, AFTER SHOCK, and BEYOND RECALL, a Literary Guild Selection.
· “A haunting thriller…Kyle keeps the cinematic action scenes and nail-biting suspense rolling throughout.” — Publishers Weekly
· “Wonderfully intelligent, highly readable, and thoroughly entertaining.” — New York Times best-selling author Heather Graham
My book for writers, PAGE-TURNER: YOUR PATH TO WRITING A NOVEL THAT PUBLISHERS WANT AND READERS BUY is available in paperback, e-book, and audiobook.
· “Kyle breaks down both the art and the craft of writing in a way that is entertaining and easy to understand.” — #1 New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong
· “Brings alive almost every tough issue a writer of fiction must confront…friendly and fun to read."— Albert Zuckerman, Writers House literary agency
· “Page-Turner is the quintessential book for writing that breakout novel!" — Goodreads review
It’s always a joy to celebrate the success of writers I’ve taught through my master classes and my online coaching programs, including:
· Bestselling mystery author Robert Rotenberg: “Barbara’s wise words constantly guide my way.”
· Debut novelist Christine Higdon: “I am forever grateful for Barbara’s wise, pragmatic, and gracious mentoring.”
· Award-winning historical novelist Bruce Gardner: “Barbara, what a tremendously positive impact you had. Can’t thank you enough.”
· Urban fantasy writer T.K. Thorne: “If you are looking for a writing mentor, Barbara Kyle would be at the top of my list.”
· Debut author H.M. Miller: “A fabulously productive investment. Thank you.”
· Award-winning author Nancy Raven Smith: “Working with Barbara is like having a secret weapon in your writing arsenal.”
NON-WRITING THINGS ABOUT ME
Before becoming an author, I enjoyed a 20-year acting career in theater, television, and film. A favorite role was playing Rosalynn Carter, wife of the President, in the TV film “Iran: Days of Crisis.” A real honor.
I love singing. I’m a longtime member of our community choir.
I’m an excellent cook. (Well, when I'm not writing.)
I’m a sailor. So is my husband. We once spent four happy years living aboard our Cal-46 ketch. Now, that was an adventure!