NOT LATER, WRITE NOW! : HOW TO CONCENTRATE AND WRITE, EVEN WHEN EVERYTHING AROUND YOU WON’T SHUT UP
Developed and Taught By Susan Bachner
It’s a common 21ST century complaint. You’re dying to start writing your novel, your screenplay, your “Tribute to Condiments Around the World” blog. But you can’t. When you’re at work, you have to be at work. When you’re at home; there are roommates, spouses, relatives. They’re talking, walking around, watching TV, breathing too loud.
You’ve tried sitting in Starbucks but there are people talking, doors opening and closing, and loud coffee machines whirring.You try to listen to music to drown out the world. But that just distracts you, too.
And wherever you are, there are always people texting you, emailing you, face booking you, calling you. How can you avoid them? So you find yourself putting off your writing for yet another day.
Yes, there are places that charge you money to rent a little cubicle where everyone agrees to be quiet, but that’s expensive. Plus you’re taking the time to travel someplace else, when you have a perfectly good desk waiting for you at home. It seems like nothing works and time is slipping away while your work remains unwritten.
You'll learn strategies to :
* Stop procrastination before it starts
* Concentrate in all kinds of circumstances, even bad ones
* Learn concentration exercises specifically for writing
* Stop sabotaging yourself, wasting time bouncing around different project ideas, and find that one idea you're "into"
* Capitalize on your own enthusiasm
* Make the best use of your free time and physical energy
* Create a custom schedule for writing that will make it easy to stick to.
Susan Bachner knows the secrets to concentrating and writing in not ideal conditions, and has the results to show for it. She has previously helped private clients learn to concentrate better and fulfill their writing dreams, and is now is opening these possibilities up to even more writers with this class.
A former Senior Editor at McGraw Hill (where she once had to concentrate on her work while a nearby coworker continually slurped coffee for hours on end ), published author, and screenwriter with representation in Hollywood, she has put together strategies for developing an inner world of peace and concentration anywhere and anytime.
Looking forward to helping you get on the road to writing what you want, whenever you want.
NOT LATER, WRITE NOW!
Like time, the amount of energy you have in a day is not elastic. Advice about how to best manage your mental and physical energy for writing.
What eating habits to avoid and which to foster for maximum brain power. Exposes some myths about what is "energy food" and what isn't. The disadvantages of the "caffeine and sugar merry-go-round."
"Getting Knocked off Your Bike" and how to get back on. Seeing concentration as a sense of balance, not an "on/off switch." How to realize more quickly when you've been knocked off your bike and methods to help you get back on your concentration bike and pedaling, again.
Using the concept of reward and punishment to help you build a discipline for your writing schedule, until your good habits develop a life of their own.
Exposing the myth of multi-tasking, and how it undermines productivity for many people. Then, conclusion of course, and taking the "Not Later. Write Now" pledge.
As a professional writer, my livelihood depends on being able to concentrate and write, no matter what the circumstances. I figured out the secrets to stomping out procrastination before it starts, concentrating anywhere, and writing what you love to write, and I'm excited to share them in my course: Not Later. Write Now!
As a C.U.N.Y. Adjunct Lecturer, I learned that I can create a curriculum for any idea or writing subject I want to teach, and can meet any student “where they are” on a learning spectrum.
My writing accomplishments include:
* Award winning playwright: Winner of the Strawberry One-Act Play Festival, Riant Theatre, NYC for the play “Gizzard Goes to the Beach,”and Finalist, annual play competition, Actor’s Repertory Theatre, NYC, for the play “Paper Doll.”
* Fellow in the Screenwriters Workshop of the Writers Guild of America East, NYC
* 5 feature length screenplays and 2 sitcom pilots, and I have screenwriting representation in Hollywood.
* Author of 4 sets of 5th grade leveled readers for Pearson Publishing; biographies of Chief Powhatan, Alexander Hamilton, Ulysses S. Grant, and Ida Wells-Barnett, which were published summer of 2011.