Spoon playing: a beginners course with all you need to amaze
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 3 articles
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- You will be able to Identify which spoons will work best for you
How to hold them.
How to create your first rhythms
- How to develop your own rhythmic idea’s
- How to piece those Idea’s together.
- How to adopt drumming techniques to develop your playing
- How to play along with different genres of music
- How to add flourishes that will enhance your rhythms and performances
- Students should have access to a pair of spoons...tricky I know..
- Students should have a quiet space to practice in, and/or understanding pets, partners, spouses or children..not necessarily in that order
This course will take you through simple basics like understanding how to hold the spoons and guide you through your first rhythms. We will do it in fun ways using some traditional spoon folk and country music of course but how about Spoons to Hip Hop? Techno? We've got all that and more covered. You've not lived till you've seen Techno Spoons :) what is important is you will have the skills to adapt this instrument to your kind of music - whatever it is.
The course will also underpin your basics skills with some drumming foundations, from a professional drummer of 20 years, adapted for spoons, meaning you get the most out of the course and become a better player quicker. You'll be using skills to build ever more complex and intriguing rhythms. That means that you can really make people sit up and take notice of your playing and you can have a lifetime of fun showing off your skills.
If that's not enough we'll also show you all the tricks and flourishes that will make people want to talk to you after you've played to find out how you do it - the ultimate party trick.
Great for people wanting to learn their first instrument, remember rhythm is half of every musicians skill set (develop your rhythm skills and you can sound good on any instrument). Good for frustrated drummers who never got around to buying a kit, or accomplished drummers who want a new string to their bow.
Great as a gift and fantastic as a party trick to make yourself and others smile.
Start Spooning now
- Anyone who likes up-cycled (otherwise known as free) instruments
- Anyone wanting to have fun with a simple instrument, that can be oddly impressive and engaging, should take it
- Anyone that likes the idea of an instrument that you can easily lay your hands on anywhere should certainly take it.
- Anyone that’s either too cheap to buy a drum kit or can’t be bothered to carry theirs around (After 20 years pIaying drums I put myself firmly in this camp) should certainly stay!
- Anyone who is too cool for school probably shouldn’t.
- To avoid disappointment, anyone hoping to impress the opposite sex should probably stay away too.
Double the strike rate of your spoons by bringing your other hand over the top of your spoon hand. This technique is the key to getting those spoons sounding really fast and making people go wow!
This can be a tricky concept but musicians have ways of dividing up time. Typically, at a beginners level they call these divisions 1/4 notes, 1/8th notes and 1/16th notes. Don't worry we will show you how to play them and easy ways to count them in your playing so you don't get confused.
Start slowly and make sure you can execute your rhythm well. Then slowly build up the speed until you get to a point where it starts to fall apart. Slow it down a little and keep trying until it becomes natural. Every time it falls apart slow it down a bit and build the speed slowly.
Moving the spoons in between the cupped other hand creates a nicely lighter sound that really sounds great in amongst some of the other techniques. It's pretty simple to do but like a lot of these techniques, and this is true of kit drumming as well, it's power comes when you are able to execute it at a bit of speed.
Here's a quick example then some music for you to play along with. Remember we want to use the techniques we have covered so far and we want to keep it in time! Try to feel the swing of the music - not quite so rigid as the Techno examle, there should be a slight swing to it.
Put in those new techniques - Trip-er-lets and Rakes - try not to overdo them though. Remember your job is to hold the rhythm down - unless you are in a prog rock spoon band in which case errrr wow...... and..... errr go crazy. I have to break it to you gently though you are not the first Prog Rock spoon dude or dudette. Check out the video in the next lesson. He was an early learn spoons graduate obviously...:)
One last flourish that makes it look like you are the Hendrix of spoons - using your mouth!
Want to learn the piano as well - in just an hour? Read on..
Thank you for taking the course, a few final thoughts and a thank you from me. If you want to take you're new rhythmic skills and apply them to another new instrument - My second course teach's how to play the piano - in just an hour! learn 48 chords, and remember how to play them for life. In just 1 hr
There is a special discount for those who've completed the spoon course - The RRP of the Piano course is $120 - but here is a discount code to get the course for just $19!