Your Guide to Sovereign Wealth Funds (SWF)
What you'll learn
- When and why sovereign wealth funds are created
- What are the biggest funds and countries with the largest sovereign wealth
- In which assets, regions and sector SWF invest
- What types of SWF could be distinguished
- Discover what are the current trends and future development of these funds
- Why sovereign wealth funds draw attention and what are major concerns about them
- A willingness and interest to build your knowledge about sovereign wealth funds.
- No prior knowledge about sovereign wealth funds is required.
You could hear about funds owned by governments and investing money in foreign markets, including the largest stock exchanges. Maybe you heard about the Norwegian fund, which manages about US $1.3 trillion? Or Chinese funds that manage about US $2.2 trillion? Maybe you even know that these funds are the largest shareholders of BP and Credit Suisse? But do you know, what their motivations are? How do they invest? What concerns about their activity are raised?
Sovereign wealth funds (SWF) are important, yet largely unknown players on the global financial markets. They are government-backed funds that allocate a dominant part of their portfolio to foreign markets. They manage assets of more than US $8 trillion, twice as much as hedge funds, and trice as much as private equity funds.
This course aims to give you a basic understanding of these funds – their motivations, investments and related controversies. After this course you will:
Understand background, origin and rationale of creating sovereign wealth funds as well as concerns about their activity
Be able to name the biggest players and countries holding the biggest sovereign wealth
Know the current value of the total assets managed by SWF and their current number
Be able to indicate assets class, regions and sector most often targeted by SWF
Get familiar with the current market trends and challenges for sovereign wealth funds
During the course, you will have a chance to reinforce your knowledge about these funds through the quiz questions.
Build your knowledge about the investors shaping modern financial markets.
Let’s get started!
Who this course is for:
- Professionals searching for credible and actual knowledge about the market of sovereign wealth funds
- Policy-makers responsible for attracting investments and creating regulations concerning capital inflow
- Academics, students, journalists and anyone interested in build their expertise in sovereign wealth funds
Michael Kulbacki - economist and independent business analyst with a professional background in management consulting, banking, think-tanks and public sector. He is an author of 100+ industry analyses and sector reports covering retail, automotive, healthcare, oil & gas and venture capital markets. He also authored and co-authored academic papers in the field of macroeconomics, international economics and sovereign wealth funds.
Michael holds a degree in International Economics from the Warsaw School of Economics and is a member of the Polish Economic Society.