Using MODX CMS to Build Websites: A Beginner's Guide
What you'll learn
- An understanding of the versatility, power and ease of use of MODX
- The knowledge of how to build an attractive, functional, and responsive website step-by-step with MODX
- Knowledge of HTML
- Knowledge of CSS
- Familiarity using computers on-line
Content Management Systems (CMS's) help you create and manage your website on-line. This course will guide you through using MODX to build and maintain your website with total creative freedom.
Why does MODX win out over other CMS's? Too often they get in the way. You want to add something but you have to add it as a "widget" or a "block". You want to change the layout of your site but you don't have access to the code. MODX changes all that, you have total control over the code.
You may be familiar with Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress, while these are good at what they do, they all have their limitations. MODX is different, you are unrestrained, you can design your website exactly how you want, to look like you want it to look and do what you want it to do.
This course introduces you to the basic concepts of the MODX content management system so you can get up and running with a website that is totally under your control in no time at all. You will learn:
- how to download MODX
- how to host MODX
- how to create the required database
- how to install MODX
- what are the key concepts for using MODX
- finding and using a free website theme
- adapting a theme to your requirements
- collecting data from your users
- how to implement search engine optimisation best practices
- how to set up Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools to help optimise your site
- how to make your website social media friendly
The objectives are to:
- Use MODX with power, ease, and flexibility
- Build an attractive, functional, and responsive website step-by-step with MODX.
MODX is an open source CMS software project which means it has been developed by a community of programmers around the world and is given away for free.
The course is made up of step-by-step video lessons in which a responsive website is built using the MODX system and a free template.
A basic understanding of HTML and CSS is all that is required to discover the power of MODX.
You can learn all you need to know to start using MODX in just two and a half hours.
You should take this course if:
- You have just completed one of the many HTML and CSS courses and want to check out the different CMS options open to you.
- You use another content management system such as Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress and you want to compare it to MODX.
The instructor will be available to answer any questions you have during the course.
Who this course is for:
- Those wanting to develop a website with complete creative control
- Web developers who use other content management systems
- Artist, designers, photogrophers who want control of their website
- Anyone who is ready to take the next steps after studying HTML and CSS
- Those wanting to earn money by building websites
Mike has been building web applications, websites, and on-line training courses for over 15 years.
For the last 5 years he has been a freelance web developer creating successful websites and web applications for his clients.
Before that he created web applications and on-line learning resources for a diverse group of employers including private companies, web agencies, Universities and the British Army.
He originally studied Electrical and Electronic Engineering then went on to do an MSc in Computer Communications and Networks. For his MSc Thesis he wrote software that analysed MPEG 4 video data, the software was used in hardware development for video devices.
This led to work in multimedia as an educational resource at university, and armed forces level.
He has created courses with diverse subjects including: Battlefield Tactics, A Foundation Course in Environmental Studies, Volcanism, Workplace Assessments and more.
As well as creating on-line learning resources he has built many different types of websites and web applications, including on-line forums, blogs, and sites related to sport, the food-industry, automotive and building trades.
He is still actively involved in building and maintaining commercial websites, and making sure his clients make the most of their on-line presence.
In his spare time he likes to cycling and spending time in the hills.