Fundamentals of Programming: Understanding C#
- Download Microsoft Visual Studio, however we will cover this in the first lecture.
What is Microsoft Visual C#?
C# (pronounced "C sharp") is a programming language that is designed for building a variety of applications that run on the .NET Framework. C# is simple, powerful, type-safe, and object-oriented. The many innovations in C# enable rapid application development while retaining the expressiveness and elegance of C-style languages.
What is this course all about?
This course is designed for people with NO prior programming experience. You will learn how to write computer programs using Microsoft Visual C#. The topics in this course are handpicked to build a strong foundation for all new programmers.
What makes this course better than the others?
This course is better than others due to the design of the lectures. Complex topics are explained in a way that anyone can understand. The instructor began as a self-taught programmer, and knows where new programmers make mistakes and get confused. All the topics in this course have the instructor’s personal tips and tricks that helped him to succeed.
Where should I go after I complete this course?
This course provides a foundation that allows you to continue your programming education in almost any area. You can stick with desktop development and learn how to build rich and immersive applications using technologies like WPF. You can enter the world of mobile development to build Android, iOS, and Windows applications using Xamarin with C#. If game development is your area of interest, you can build both desktop and mobile games using Unity with C#. If you are tired of software development, web development is also an option using ASP.NET.
Can I take the experience from this course to learn new programming languages?
Yes you can! C# is a "C" based programming language. All programming languages in the same family are extremely similar and easy to learn after learning C#. Some examples of "C" based languages are:
Future courses from this instructor.
Stay tuned for future courses in:
- Advanced C#
- Building Real World Application using C#
- Microsoft Certification in C#
- Xamarin iOS
- Xamarin Android
- Android Development using Java
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Fundamentals of Java
- Fundamentals of C++
Who this course is for:
- This C# course is designed for new programmers. If you have no programming experience or need a quick refresher, this is the course for you. This course is probably not for you if you're looking to learn advanced C# topics.
- 11:08Getting Started
- 12:08Declaring Variables
- 15:04Displaying Variables in the Console
- 18:41Using Arithmetic Operators
- 09:34Using the Bool Data Type
- 04:31Using the Char Data Type
- 12:37Using the String Data Type
- 04:43Numeric Conversions
- 07:40Declaring Constants
- 07:17Console Input
- 20 questionsSection 1 Quiz
- 03:19Exercise 1 - with Solution
- 04:40Exercise 2 - with Solution
- 05:16Exercise 3 - with Solution
Jesse Dietrichson is a Senior Content Developer at Microsoft and has been teaching and authoring technical content his entire career. He began as an instructor for Xamarin University where he taught live mobile development classes using Xamarin. After that, he transitioned into content authoring and built courses that were delivered by live instructors to Xamarin University students. He currently is a member of the Microsoft Learn team and is creating Azure content.