Real World Hadoop - Upgrade Cloudera and Hadoop hands on
- 3 hours on-demand video
- 2 articles
- 1 downloadable resource
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Simply run a single command on your desktop, go for a coffee, and come back with a running distributed environment for cluster deployment
- Quickly build an environment where Cloudera and Hadoop software can be installed.
- Ability to automate the installation of software across multiple Virtual Machines
- Upgrade the Cloudera and Hadoop Version to the next version of Hadoop
- Basic programming or scripting experience is required.
- You will need a desktop PC and an Internet connection. The course is created with Windows in mind.
- The software needed for this course is freely available
- You will require a computer with a Virtualization chipset support - VT-x. Most computers purchased over the last five years should be good enough
- Optional : Some exposure to Linux and/or Bash shell environment
- 64-bit Windows operating system required (Would recommend Windows 7 or above)
- This course is not recommened if you have no desire to work with/in distributed computing
- This course is built on top of - "Real World Vagrant - Automate a Cloudera Manager Build"
Note : This course is built on top of the "Real World Vagrant - Automate a Cloudera Manager Build - Toyin Akin" course
Upgrading Cloudera Manager enables new features of the latest product versions while preserving existing data and settings. Some new settings are added, and some additional steps may be required, but no existing configuration is removed.
Upgrading Cloudera Manager
The process for upgrading Cloudera Manager varies depending on the starting point. Categories of tasks to be completed include the following:
Install databases required for the release. In Cloudera Manager 5, the Host Monitor and Service Monitor roles use an internal database that provides greater capacity and flexibility. You do not need to configure an external database for these roles.
Upgrade the Cloudera Manager Server.
Upgrade the Cloudera Manager Agent. You can use an upgrade wizard that is invoked when you connect to the Admin Console or manually install the Cloudera Manager Agent packages.
Cloudera Manager 5 can manage both CDH 4 and CDH 5. To benefit from the most current CDH features, you must upgrade CDH.
Here I present a curriculum as to the current state of my Cloudera courses.
My Hadoop courses are based on Vagrant so that you can practice and destroy your virtual environment before applying the installation onto real servers/VMs.
For those with little or no knowledge of the Hadoop eco system Udemy course : Big Data Intro for IT Administrators, Devs and Consultants
I would first practice with Vagrant so that you can carve out a virtual environment on your local desktop. You don't want to corrupt your physical servers if you do not understand the steps or make a mistake. Udemy course : Real World Vagrant For Distributed Computing
I would then, on the virtual servers, deploy Cloudera Manager plus agents. Agents are the guys that will sit on all the slave nodes ready to deploy your Hadoop services Udemy course : Real World Vagrant - Automate a Cloudera Manager Build
Then deploy the Hadoop services across your cluster (via the installed Cloudera Manager in the previous step). We look at the logic regarding the placement of master and slave services. Udemy course : Real World Hadoop - Deploying Hadoop with Cloudera Manager
If you want to play around with HDFS commands (Hands on distributed file manipulation). Udemy course : Real World Hadoop - Hands on Enterprise Distributed Storage.
You can also automate the deployment of the Hadoop services via Python (using the Cloudera Manager Python API). But this is an advanced step and thus I would make sure that you understand how to manually deploy the Hadoop services first. Udemy course : Real World Hadoop - Automating Hadoop install with Python!
There is also the upgrade step. Once you have a running cluster, how do you upgrade to a newer hadoop cluster (Both for Cloudera Manager and the Hadoop Services). Udemy course : Real World Hadoop - Upgrade Cloudera and Hadoop hands on
- Software engineers who want to expand their skills into the world of distributed computing
- System Engineers that want to expand their skillsets beyond the single server
- Developers who want to write/test their code against a valid distributed enviroment