Personal Finance 101: Everything You Need to Know
- No outside materials or software is required to take this course.
- No knowledge of mathematics or statistics is required for this course.
- No prior personal finance experience is required for this course.
- The only thing you need is access to the internet and a willingness to learn!
This course is designed for anyone looking to gain an excellent, practical knowledge of personal finance, covering everything from to taxes to credit cards. Sound intimidating? Don't worry! This course is designed with complete beginners in mind. No previous personal finance knowledge (or math!) is required, and you will never need outside software or materials.
As for how this course is structured, we designed it to maximize your enjoyment and engagement. That’s why we teach you an entire personal finance curriculum through a series of short (<5 min), engaging, animated videos. Each video teaches you everything you need to know (practically-speaking) about a specific topic, like investing, in a way that even a total beginner can understand. And with over 52 videos in total, more than 3 hours of content, you’ll learn everything you need to know about personal finance, from how to pay your taxes to how to buy a car to how to pay off your student loans!
Finally, as for our background, we're MoneyCoach, a financial education startup that has spent the past year developing this curriculum (with the help of a financial advisor) to fill the void in financial education and to teach people personal finance in the most effective way possible. So what are you waiting for? Get started today!
Who this course is for:
- This course is meant for anyone looking to learn (and eventually master!) personal finance. And yes, we do mean anyone! We designed this course to be accessible and useful for everyone, especially complete beginners, whether they're just heading off to college or just getting ready for retirement.
- This course is NOT meant for anyone looking to learn advanced investment techniques or financial modeling.
MoneyCoach is a free website that makes it fun and easy for anyone to learn how to manage their finances online.
MoneyCoach was designed by college students and backed by financial professionals!
Our educational videos closely align with the U.S. Treasury Financial Education Core Competencies, a comprehensive blueprint designed to enhance baseline financial literacy in the United States. Beyond these competencies, our curriculum also includes Estate Planning, Long-Term Disability and Renters Insurance, How to Get Housing, How to Get a Car, Finances and Relationships, and much more.
Here's what Professor Karin Bonding, CFA and longtime Personal Finance Professor at UVA had to say about MoneyCoach: "The videos presented in MoneyCoach will prepare even the most unprepared student at any university to avoid some of the most basic financial pitfalls. Having taught personal finance for 19 years at University of Virginia, I can attest to the financial illiteracy prevalent among students. These videos will be of invaluable help in overcoming the shame of having to ask questions that maybe should have been obvious, but somehow stump even the brightest student. An absolute must-have for any young person."