PASTEL DE NATA - Portuguese custard tarts for all levels!
What you'll learn
- My award-winning recipe for authentic Portuguese Pastel de Nata (also known as Egg Tart or Custard Tart)
- Puff pastry from scratch
- Tricks and secrets to bake Pastel de Nata like professionals do (they aren't all the same!)
- General tips for easy baking at home with incredible results
- History and curiosities about Portuguese traditional pastries
- This course is open to ALL levels - no previous baking experience required.
- If you are a PRO or have baked Pastel de Nata before, we also include some secrets and tricks to perfect your Pastel de Nata technique.
- We use easy to find ingredients anywhere in the world - don't worry!
Pastel de Nata is Portugal's most famous sweet treat. Known as Pastéis de Belém in the Portuguese speaking world, Egg Tart (dàntǎ) in Asia and Custard Tarts in many parts of the world, these flaky pastry treats are filled with smooth custard, and it's hard to eat just one at a time. Following this course, you will understand what makes authentic Pastel de Nata different from variations of custard tarts or even egg tarts you might have tried outside Portugal.
*** Course videos are in English but include subtitles and recipes for download in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian, Korean, Arabic, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese and Russian. ***
We will cover all the steps in an easy to follow way, and I will show you the tricks to make your pastries as professional as those you'd find in pastry shops all over my country. We have tips for the dough and also little twists for the custard, to balance flavors and textures beautifully.
If you have tasted Pastel de Nata at a Portuguese bakery and you'd love to make some at home, this course will show you how to accomplish that. If you are a professional baker perhaps looking forward to serve genuine custard tarts in your establishment, you can also gather a lot of pro tips following this course! Obrigado! :)
Who this course is for:
- Home bakers and baking enthusiasts
- Professional bakers
- Lovers of Portuguese food
I grew up in the hospitality business. At 13 years of age, I decided to embrace the family tradition of baking treats. Now, I own Pastelaria Batalha, a Lisbon based bakery. We specialize in traditional Portuguese pastries and we have just won silver medal for Best Pastel de Nata in Portugal.
I am passionate about teaching pastry lovers how to make traditional Portuguese pastries, particularly Pastel de Nata, Portugal's most iconic treat. I run a very popular Pastel de Nata Workshop at my bakery in the heart of Lisbon. We have welcomed over 1000 people from all over the world who wanted to learn how to make Pastel de Nata after falling in love with this pastry while visiting Portugal. I've baked with a couple of Michelin star chefs, but also with folks who had never even made a cake at home before - it's always different, and it's always great fun! I also do online one-on-one sessions for those into baking and who aren't able to travel to Lisbon.
I'm all about spreading the love for Pastel de Nata, so I like sharing my recipe with home-bakers and pros, no matter where in the world. I do everything step by step, so that EVERYONE can follow with easy to find ingredients and utensils. Let's bake together!