The Neuroscience of Shopping (Marketing and Manipulation)
What you'll learn
- Understand the working of our subconscious mind
- Recognize the many strategies used by marketers to influence our subconsciousness
- have fun seeing through marketing tactics in ads, commercials and point of sales
- Use simple rules of thumb to avoid falling for impulse buying
- Free yourself from marketing manipulation
- A keen interest in human behavior is the only real prerequisite for this course
- No previous knowledge required - I will take you step by step through the different concepts and models presented in the course
- No specific materials are needed for this course. Taking notes is recommended
- At different stages in the course, there will be questions presented about how you think and feel about some topics. It is highly recommended you answer them for yourself before you move on with the course
- At different stages in the course, you will be invited to do some exercises. Concrete examples will be presented, however it is important (and fun) to do the exercise yourself as well
"If you buy - or sell anything, anywhere, you need this course!..." (review from Anne Jordan)
In this highly entertaining and interactive course you will discover how and why marketing works. First we will need to understand what triggers us. We’ll be diving deep into our conscious and subconscious decision-making processes and I’ll show you, with tons of concrete real life examples, how marketing strategies have been able to cash in on those processes.
Now marketing hasn’t been waiting around for neuroscience to come up with insights about the brain to start applying these principles. Through trial and error, and a lot of testing, marketing departments were able to develop sound principles based on empirical evidence. In this course, not only will I show you what works, but also why it does so well. The scientific part of this course is based on the latest research in neuroscience and psychology and is brought to you through an easy-to-understand model of how our mind works.
And we won’t stop there. You see, this is not a course on how to apply neuroscience to your own marketing efforts, even though I guess you could use the information here to do so.
The real aim of this course is to educate consumers, and aren’t we all, so that next time we feel the urge to buy something, we are able to look beyond the marketing, and see if we’re just being manipulated or if we genuinely need or want to buy something
Because in the end, this course is about empowerment. It’s about being able to free oneself from consumerism. It’s about living consciously, being aware when we’re being played, and making educated choices.
So what should you expect?
Understand your subconscious mind - and how we make buying decisions
Recognize strategies used by marketers - and how they try to influence us
Use simple rules of thumb - and avoid falling for umpulse buying
Free yourself from marketing manipulation - and make conscious buying decisions
And So Much More... such as survival instincts, sex, herding, obedience, starvation, neurotransmitters, countless commercials, and so on ...
Who this course is for:
- Anyone with an interest in human behavior
- Anyone who has ever wondered why we buy the things we buy
- Anyone who has ever bought something and regretted it later
- This course is not for people looking for ways to manipulate others. It's about empowering, not taking power away from others
Hi, my name is Gregory Caremans. I'm the founder of the award-winning Brain Academy.
I have studied psychology and have a Master in communication, As the former Director of the Institute of Neurocognitivism in Brussels I have also specialized in the Neurocognitive and Behavioral Approach.
With the Brain Academy I have taught over 400.000 students on Udemy how to better understand their brain. My courses have been featured in The Economist, Entrepreneur, Mashable, CNN and more. I'm also a two times TEDx speaker. Over the last three years, I have won several awards from "Most innovative neuroscience and personal development enterprise" to "Excellence in online learning".
My aim is to make Brain Science accessible to all.
Here at Udemy most of our courses are best-sellers:
Neuroscience for Parents is the N°1 course on parenting
Master your brain is the N°1 course on Neuroscience
Meet your brain is the N°1 free personal development course
How to keep a youthful brain is the N° 1 course on Brain Training
Our Neuroplasticity course is N°1 in its category
Our course on procrastination is the N°1 course on procrastination
Our course on sleep and dreams is the N°1 course on sleep
Our course on Memory is the N°2 course on Memory and study skills
Our Stress Management course is N°1 out of almost 900 courses on stress.
Our leadership course is N°2, right between Seth Godin and Brian Tracy
Our course on Marketing and Manipulation is the N°3 course on influence skills
This is no coincidence. All our courses are thoroughly researched. We continuously update and improve our content. Everything we teach is science based. The Brain Academy is a member of the Max Planck Institute for Brain Research. We're very serious about the accuracy of our content.
We also dedicate a part of our profits to the Max Planck Institute. As a direct consequence of this, every time you buy one of our courses, you too are contributing to the advance in brain research. Now how cool is that!?
Join us in our journey to discover the exciting world of brain science. Enrol in one of our courses and discover for yourself how much more you can get out of your brains.
See you there!