Impressionism - Paint this Venice painting in oil or acrylic
What you'll learn
- Create an entire painting in one sitting
- Learn about Impressionism and why it is so powerful
- Understand how light works to make things look the way they do, and how to translate that into your paintings
- Understand the concepts of Drawing, Values, Color, and Edges
- Learn the value of brushwork. So much can be said with so few brushstrokes.
- Apply all of these concepts to let your own personal style develop
- Basic painting and drawing skills are recommended, but I will help start you off right if you're brand new.
- Materials required: regular oil painting materials (paints, brushes, palette, solvent, canvas, easel); also charcoal, eraser, and paper. I provide a detailed list of all painting materials that I use. You can use acrylics to follow along here as well, but some techniques will differ (and I will mention when those happen).
- A love of painting! (that one's cheesy, but it's so true)
Impressionist painting with a focus on light. Bring a luminous quality to your paintings you’ve never thought possible. Learn how to build a painting in one sitting, “alla prima”, and how to savor interesting brushwork. You will also learn the invaluable concepts of drawing, value, color, and edges. Use these methods and knowledge to start your painting off right if you're a total beginner, or to take your painting style to the next level if you're more experienced. You’ve never painted like this before.
You can paint along with me during this entire course. I even have a camera angle that shows my palette as I'm mixing colors. You will learn crucial painting techniques in the process of creating a beautiful painting. Or feel free to just sit back and enjoy the show as I create a painting from scratch.
The reference photo I'm using is provided, as well as a materials list. You're free to use your own style of materials of course, but I'll list every single thing I use. I also provide a PDF flipbook showing each stage of the painting, so you can flip through quickly and see how the painting builds with each stage.
This course is partial toward using oil paint, and I highly recommend it, however you can use acrylics also. Many of the concepts I discuss in this course apply to all mediums of art.
So take this course if you're ready to improve your painting with methods you've probably never seen before, and will have you thinking about painting in a new way. For all levels of painters.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner painters who want to have good foundational skills from the start
- Intermediate painters who want to learn more advanced techniques
- Advanced painters who want to learn more about Impressionism, or to get fresh ideas and inspiration
- Any painter who wants to watch a skilled painter in action, up close, and hear about every brushstroke, process, thought, and material
- Anyone who enjoys watching someone create a beautiful painting from scratch