(Oxford) Joint Diploma: Microeconomics and Business
What you'll learn
- Explain how to interpret elasticity
- Using demand and supply, illustrate price determination
- Examine the impact of tax/subsidies
- Apply ceteris paribus
- Evaluate the sugar tax and other Case Studies
- Decluttering and impact on economy
- Business application of microeconomics
- Lean management
- Textbooks are included!
- Stroke risk - and what can be done
- Learn microeconomics through football
- It would be helpful if you had a pen and paper to practice the diagrams
- You should be able to use a PC at beginner level
- There is a lot of repetition in this basic course as these are key principles of Economics
January 2024 - new quizzes
AUGUST 2023: Behavioural Economics added
JUNE 2023, workbooks (4) and new lectures on Economics for Beginners' added
JULY LECTURES ADDED on sanctions, pollution, Davos, Globalisation, Interest rates, economic war
NINETEEN LECTURES ADDED ON THE 'GREAT RESET' - these are deliberately provocative to encourage you to think - and discuss. Material current as at 18th January 2022.
NINE LECTURES ADDED ON SUSTAINABILITY IN NOVEMBER 2021
TWENTY LECTURES ADDED ON 14TH MARCH 2021 ON MICROECONOMICS BUSINESS
BEFORE YOU ENROL:
1. Watch the Preview video on Microeconomics
2. Watch the sample lectures on Business and Microeconomics
3. Thoroughly read this course description
4. Be fully aware that participation is encouraged - that means there are Microeconomics manuals (several) numerous discussions (Q/A sections) and regular Education Announcements
5. To achieve the Oxford Diploma (Microeconomics and Business) requires quite a lot of work. To acquire the Completion Certificate you can just watch. You can choose to do either, neither or both. Questions are responded to quickly.
6. Remember too that this course includes an OPTIONAL course in Business Economics English.
Five reasons to TAKE THIS COURSE right now:
You cannot lose - 30 day refund if you really really don't like the course BUT if you DO like it:
a. updated lectures
b. case studies based on very very current news items
c. detailed responses to messages
d. I constantly attempt to have a 'class atmosphere' e.g. throwing questions open to all
e. regular Announcements that are not disguised sales ploys
f. regular FREE access to numerous other courses offered by me
I am a lecturer/teacher in Economics by trade i.e. I teach full-time for a living. I have been Principal, Director of Studies and Head of Economics. (Oxford, UK) I have lectured in University, adult evening classes and also run over 50 seminars in the UK
I am/have been an Examiner for FIVE different examination boards
I have 100+ books on Amazon - many of them about Business/Economics
The success of my students has been featured on the BBC, Daily Telegraph, The Times and I have been featured on TV in 2 countries.
I make courses on Udemy primarily because I enjoy the process of causing learning. Many of my courses are to improve lives. One of the Economics courses is to raise money for charity. (100% of revenue goes to the charity) Fundamentally this course is about helping you.
About the course
This is a course covering the key areas in micro economics at a beginners/intermediate level. It is the principles of economics that are emphasised, repeated and supported with notes. Very clearly explained and reinforced with notes and revision lectures. This course is IDEAL for the beginner who wants to advance quickly.
Price elasticity of demand
Price elasticity of supply
Elasticity and how to interpret it
Elasticity - calculations
Elasticity - shape of curves
Elasticity - tax/subsidy incidence
Microeconomics of football
This course is ideal for the BEGINNER who wishes to progress as well as someone with experience in studying Economics as the topics are pitched at several levels.
Why learn from me?
5 years experience as a Buyer for a multinational car company
Owner of two companies in the Education sector
Trainer of Economics and Business teachers
30 years experience in teaching/lecturing Economics in Oxford (UK) and worldwide
Highly responsive to questions asked relating to lectures
Constantly improving and developing courses at Udemy
REMEMBER ALSO THE NUMEROUS REVISION LECTURES!
At the end of the course are some case studies based on articles in August 2019. This is to give you the opportunity to check what you know - and then (if you wish) send answers in! (They are on the micro topics above such as taxes, elasticity, demand, supply etc)
REGULAR ANNOUNCEMENTS MAKE SURE THIS COURSE IS ALWAYS UP TO DATE.
Who this course is for:
- University students who need to quickly master the Micro!
- Beginners in Economics who wish a speedy progression
- Anyone buying or selling services
- Anyone wanting to ENJOY learning about Economics
- All consumers
I currently volunteer for:
Different Strokes (Stroke charity) - Ambassador
Age UK - running a book club
NHS - Culture liaison
NHS - interview panels
Sport in Mind - Support
Multiple Sclerosis - Support Worker
Trinity Learning - - visit Primary Schools
Oxford Recovery College - tutor
Horton Hospital - Hospital radio
Story Telling Museum - guide
43+ years experience teaching Economics, Business, Sociology, Politics and other subjects in schools, universities and other colleges - State and Private Sector. Appeared in 100+ films (including corporate training and fitness videos). 100+ books on Amazon. Featured by the BBC, Polish TV, The Times, The Telegraph and...The Sun.
· University of Oxford (Philosophy and Economics)
· Oxford Brookes (Teacher training)
· University of Glamorgan (Business and Economics)
· Professional qualifications at Masters level
· Business and Economics degree
· Examiner for four major examining boards, at ‘O’ and ‘A’ level.
· Three teaching diplomas plus CELTA
· Qualified fitness trainer
Key academic positions held:
· Principal Oxford School of Learning
· Director of Studies: St Joseph’s Hall, Oxford
· Head of Economics: Cherwell Tutors
· Head of Business and Economics: Pipers Corner School, Buckingham
Founder: Almost Random Theatre
Business and Economics background
Set up and ran Oxford Conferences and ran 50+ Business/Economics conferences at schools - all fees to charity
Amazon Business/Economics books include:
· Case studies for Business
· Time management for teachers
· Creativity techniques in Economics
· Drucker in Business Studies
· Creativity in Business
· Business calculations
· Further applications of de Bono
· Applying de Bono
· Philosophy Games
Taught students at the University of Oxford , Brookes University and schools in the state and independent sector
Principal of Oxford School of Learning for 15 years
Created OSL Training and trained Business, Psychology and Sociology teachers
Set up Marketing Education Services in the 1980s and sold cassette tape recordings of my lectures at the University of Oxford
Featured in The Times, The Telegraph, the BBC, ITV and Polish national television owing to the success of my teaching techniques and subsequent success of my students.
Ex-Buyer for a major car company
Psychology and Motivation background
Author of 100+ books on Amazon (mainly Business/Economics/Psychology) including:
· GCSE Psychology thru Mind Maps
· AS/A2 Psychology
· AS Psychology thru Mind Maps
· A2 Psychology thru Mind Maps
· Lifestyle Plan
· The Internet and Psychology
Through his own business OSL Training has run training courses for teachers of Psychology
Writer of several plays about death and appeared in films dealing with death
Theatre and Film Career
· 2012 - set up Almost Random Theatre.
· Since 2012 the theatre has delivered workshops in Scotland, Wales, Czech Republic and Poland as well as 15 schools in England.
· Chris has written/directed over 50 short and 3 one-Act plays that have subsequently been performed in London and Oxford.
· Scripts for three of his plays have been sold, via an Independent publisher, to schools in the UK.
· Course-creator/author of Coping with Old Age and Death - one person's perspective.
· He has also had plays put on - and performed in - Oxford and Brighton Fringes, London, Scotland and Wales.
· Chris has appeared in over 112 films.
· Ambassador for Heart UK
· Stoke Lead and member of Research panel for the Stroke Association
· Board member of Stroke Club UK
· Ambassador for Different Strokes (charity)
· Member of PHC (Public Health Collaboration) UK
· Author of 6-volume Lifestyle Manual
· Author of other Lifestyle books on Amazon
· Originator of the Holman Protocol
Nothing in any of Chris's courses should be interpreted as linking to or representing any of the above stroke organisations.
Oxford School of Learning was set up in 1986. It became a limited company which was then closed down around 2018 as there was no need to keep it going. The School kept going though, writing/providing books, online courses and issuing the Oxford School of Learning Diploma to those who met difficult criteria.
As the name suggests, Oxford School of Learning is based in Oxford, UK. The original Principal was Chris Sivewright who now delivers various Economics and Business courses for us.
- 4.5 Instructor Rating
- 2,667 Reviews
- 67,476 Students
- 19 Courses