Old in 2021? Here’s how to deal with it!
What you'll learn
- 1. Protect against COVID-19 and also the effects of the lockdown
- 2. Pass on the tips and ideas, thoughts and stories to elderly relatives and friends - or just remember them for yourself!
- 3. Learn about anti-inflammatory diet
- 4. 300+ activities to fight boredom
- 5. Prevent premature aging
- 6. Improve sleep
- 7. Oxygenate your blood
- 8. Overcome loneliness
- 9. Look forward far more positively to growing old.
- 10. Workbook added on Holistic Medicine
- 1. This is a course about coping with old age. The person delivering the course is in his 80s. It is possible you will find elements of the course depressing - and some other areas, uplifting. Just be prepared for that.
- 2. The ability to follow links given on the internet and - just in case the link is no longer operational - not to give up but perhaps still find the original article
- 3. Time. This is very important. These are not lectures just to rush through. They are desifned to make you think and to feel some empathy and then to pass on the ideas to others who are elderly
- 4. Ideally to have a pen and paper handy to jot down key points, links to follow up and anything else you wish to remember.
Notice: Please do NOT enrol on this course on impulse, thinking you might watch it later. Maybe show an interest on impulse, yes, but before you enrol, watch the Preview videos, read the Course Description and then make a decision. If you then enrol then please start the course as soon as possible. Watch the lectures, look at the workbooks and join in the discussions. Joining my courses is a serious business and I want you to get the most out of your study – but I also want you to enjoy the course.
That is why I am asking that you only enrol because you really want to and that you start the course intending to make full use of all the resources.
You will be very welcome.
This is a rich, varied course narrated by Peter Thomas (aged 80!!!) who at the time of the recordings, had spent nearly six decades in the acting industry. He brings to the course a gravitas that is a mixture of research, personal anecdotes, humour and every so often a whiff of sadness.
This is a course about some of the problems that old age brings - and what can be done, what Peter has done, to deal with them.
There is something in this course for everyone - and the elderly relatives of everyone! Even if you are not in the UK, 99% of the course will still apply to you.
We all have our own ways of getting through life but as we age our ability to fight the ravages of time, the boredom, the ill health, diminish.
Fears of growing old
Impact of COVID-19
Exercise - to death
Questions, myths and ANSWERS
Coping with being old
NEW SECTION: Students' questions
This course will enable you to cope with old age that little bit better...in fact, quite a lot better!
If you like film and theatre you will be amused and interested by the anecdotes*. The background of the Instructor - Peter Thomas - makes this course absolutely UNIQUE. Look forward to old age with hope, with optimism and desire - not fear. Also use the workbook that comes free with this course to record your journey to happiness and fulfillment.
*Even if you have no interest in cinema or theatre there is still a lot in this course for you - especially as you are continually advised, encouraged even, to contribute to the forum.
Let's share ideas!
Note: this course is the end product of a period of co-operation between Peter Thomas and Chris Sivewright . A joint effort from two old codgers!
Who this course is for:
- Everyone. We either die young or we grow old and then die. We aim to be in the latter group - this lecture series is about coping with old age.
35+ years experience teaching in schools, universities and other colleges - State and Private Sector. Appeared in 100+ films (including corporate training and fitness videos). 100+ books on Amazon. Featured by the BBC, Polish TV, The Times, The Telegraph and...The Sun.
· University of Oxford (Philosophy and Economics)
· Oxford Brookes (Teacher training)
· University of Glamorgan (Business and Economics)
· Professional qualifications at Masters level
· Business and Economics degree
· Examiner for four major examining boards, at ‘O’ and ‘A’ level.
· Three teaching diplomas plus CELTA
· Qualified fitness trainer
Key academic positions held:
· Principal Oxford School of Learning
· Director of Studies: St Joseph’s Hall, Oxford
· Head of Economics: Cherwell Tutors
· Head of Business and Economics: Pipers Corner School, Buckingham
Founder: Almost Random Theatre
Business and Economics background
Set up and ran Oxford Conferences and ran 50+ Business/Economics conferences at schools - all fees to charity
Amazon Business/Economics books include:
· Case studies for Business
· Time management for teachers
· Creativity techniques in Economics
· Drucker in Business Studies
· Creativity in Business
· Business calculations
· Further applications of de Bono
· Applying de Bono
· Philosophy Games
Taught students at the University of Oxford , Brookes University and schools in the state and independent sector
Principal of Oxford School of Learning for 15 years
Created OSL Training and trained Business, Psychology and Sociology teachers
Set up Marketing Education Services in the 1980s and sold cassette tape recordings of my lectures at the University of Oxford
Featured in The Times, The Telegraph, the BBC, ITV and Polish national television owing to the success of my teaching techniques and subsequent success of my students.
Ex-Buyer for a major car company
Psychology and Motivation background
Author of 100+ books on Amazon (mainly Business/Economics/Psychology) including:
· GCSE Psychology thru Mind Maps
· AS/A2 Psychology
· AS Psychology thru Mind Maps
· A2 Psychology thru Mind Maps
· Lifestyle Plan
· The Internet and Psychology
Through his own business OSL Training has run training courses for teachers of Psychology
Writer of several plays about death and appeared in films dealing with death
Theatre and Film Career
· 2012 - set up Almost Random Theatre.
· Since 2012 the theatre has delivered workshops in Scotland, Wales, Czech Republic and Poland as well as 15 schools in England.
· Chris has written/directed over 50 short and 3 one-Act plays that have subsequently been performed in London and Oxford.
· Scripts for three of his plays have been sold, via an Independent publisher, to schools in the UK.
· Course-creator/author of Coping with Old Age and Death - one person's perspective.
· He has also had plays put on - and performed in - Oxford and Brighton Fringes, London, Scotland and Wales.
· Chris has appeared in over 112 films.
· Ambassador for Heart UK
· Stoke Lead and member of Research panel for the Stroke Association
· Board member of Stroke Club UK
· Member of Different Strokes (charity)
· Member of PHC (Public Health Collaboration) UK
· Author of 6-volume Lifestyle Manual
· Author of other Lifestyle books on Amazon
· Originator of the Holman Protocol
Nothing in any of Chris's courses should be interpreted as linking to or representing any of the above stroke organisations.