How to Give Feedback without Giving Offence
- 39 mins on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Deliver constructive feedback free from assumptions and misunderstanding
- Be understood the first time every time
- Support observations with the sense data of what you have seen and heard, thought and felt and inferred
- Express yourself using our Primary Processing Language which is metaphor
- Ask simple questions such as "like what" to help others communicate free from the use of vague and fuzzy concept words like "good" or "alright"
- Explore your own thought processes which support your ability to deliver feedback at your best
- Develop other people's ability to learn at their best
- Challenge your own assumptions to learn and grow
- You will not need an ego or preconceived assumptions - instead come with both ears washed out and an open mind. Getting this right is about listening with the intention of understanding not listening with the intention to reply
- This course is about delivering feedback and appraisals which are free from the misunderstanding which arises from making assumptions about what is said.
- When feedback is supported by the evidence of what you have seen and heard and how it made you think and feel then the recipient is more likely to be able to comprehend and react appropriately.
- We introduce you to the power of metaphor as the best way to express what you see and hear and think and feel.
- Case studies are used so that you can hear the words of good feedback sessions being given and model them to suit your own feedback sessions.
- The course will take 40 minutes to complete followed by regular practice.
- Take this course if your success depends on the performance of others or if people are looking to you for advice and support for their own personal development.
- Suitable for small business owners, corporate or public sector leaders and educators.
- It also has application in personal situations.
- The problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place. Using this technique you can be certain you will be understood.
- The guiding mantra is - "Quality of Life is Quality of Communication."
- Take this course if other people look to you for advice and support in order to be their best
- Take this course if your success depends on others performing at their best
- Take this course if you want to eliminate the wasted time in your life which is the result of failure to communicate properly the first time
Feedback fails because we assume that others share our understanding of the meaning of the words we use. Using a simple example we demonstrate how wrong this assumption is and how easy it is to misunderstand what has been said.
We do not wish to dwell on the delivery of poor feedback but by implication from a bad case study allow you to recognise where errors were made and to avoid them yourself.
By grasping the underlying structure and flow of constructive feedback you will be able to constrct your own sessions in your own style follwing the same steps.
If all else fails use technique.
Using examples from Caitlin Walker's book, "From Contempt to Curiosity", hear the sound and fow of constuctive feedback. How does what you hear, make you think and feel? How easily could you copy this structure?
Describing the intended outcome in vivid sensory language makes it more memorable and acts as a shorthand for a complex array of ideas. We have infinite memory for pictures and a very limited vocabulary which runs to about 8000 words for the average person.