Improvise Puccini´s "E Lucevan le Stelle" on Piano
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 6 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- You learn to use the three different minor scales.
- You learn to construct chords onto a given scale.
- You learn concepts of harmonic analysis of music pieces
- You learn to use the Roman Numeral Notation for the ease of transposing songs.
- You learn to understand the chord progression of one outstanding classical masterpiece.
- You learn about the correlation between chord progression and emotions.
- You learn how to construct musical forms and how to re-compose a musical piece.
- You learn how to improve your improvisational skills
- Basic knowledge of piano playing
- 15 minutes daily practice time
- A piano (or keyboard), minimum 49 keys, optimum 72 keys to 88 keys
- A laptop or tablet to put it beside or upon your instrument.
Harmony is the basis of composition and improvisation, band-playing, songwriting, musical interpretation and understanding the emotions of music.
- Analyze, play and Improvise the most famous dramatic Tosca aria "And The Stars Were Shining" (E Lucevan le Stelle) of the great Opera Composer Giacomo Puccini.
- Learn scales, chords and notations, progressions and their emotional repercussions, music structure and improvising techniques, all in one.
- Derive your own music from classical musical material.
The course shows you step by step the whole compositional process from the harmonic analysis of Puccini´s dramatic aria “And the Stars were Shining" through to your own personal improvised interpretation.
Th aria is well known for its induction of strong emotions. The aria´s chord progression which is shown in full detail during the course explains in depth these parts of high emotional arousal.
To meet the needs also of the advanced beginner there are introductory videos about the concepts of scales and chord-construction.
This course is designed especially for the enthusiast of classical and modern music who wants to improve his harmony knowledge and who wants to learn compositional and improvisational techniques.
- Lovers of classical AND modern popular music who wish to improve their understanding of music
- Music enthusiasts who want to learn the classic and modern western harmonic framework
- Musicians who want to compose own and personal songs
- Piano players who want to to enhance their skills and motivation
- Intermediate and advanced piano players finding "holes" in their improvisational and songwriting skills
- Music teachers who want to know new approaches for a motivating music class
You get to know:
- How different scholars analyze Puccini´s aria "E Lucevan le Stelle"
- The first Piano Arrangement of the Tosca Opera
- The caracteristic Motive of the aria
- An Overview of th whole course
- How to analyze the tonality of a given music piece
- The characteristics of natural, harmonic and melodic G-Minor scales
- The differences between the ascendant and descendant melodic minor scale
- Why the harmonic minor scale has an exotic sound
- How to construct chords upon every scale tone
- How the chord names are built
- The special dcharacteristic of the dominant seven chord
- Chords with diminished fifth
Chord with non scale tones
- How the use of scales contribute to the use of certain chord progressions
- How the violation of the expectancy of chord progressions evoke emotions of tension
- How Puccini achieved intense emotions by systematical violations of the expectancy of certain chordprogressions
- How to analyze the time structure of Puccini´s aria
- A step by step process of changing the time structure of the aria
- A time structure that fits better our listening habits
- The meaning of Asymmetry in time structures
- How to construct a music piece out of one chorus