Using a Photographic Light Meter
- In this course you will learn the difference between reflective light meters and ambient light meters
Students will learn which meter is best for different situations
We will discover the powerful ways a light meter can help a photographer pre-visualize the image before exposure
- Students will gain more confidence with the use of their meters, and gain more confidence with their lighting
- Learn to use Photoshop to visualize tonalities and begin to see the world as a photographer
- Camera and Lens
- Basic knowledge of their camera operations in Manual Mode
- Light Meter (reflected and ambient)
- Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, GIMP
- Working knowledge of Photoshop Layers
NOTE: this class is given freely to all photographers who want to know how to use their light meter in digital photography... it is simply produced and is more informational than glossy. It will be continuously updated when new materials become available.
This course is designed for those photographers who have just begun using a hand held light meter or who may not know what to do with their meters. or why they are important and useful tools for making images.
The light meter is a device that measures the intensity of light, whether that light is being reflected from a subject (reflected light) or falling upon the subject (ambient or "incident" light). The light meter is a tool that helps a photographer create more accuracy in exposures.
We take a very close look at all the ways a light meter can help a photographer develop a stronger understanding of the light, as well as learning how the different tonalities are expressed through a light meter.
Real world examples and some simple and fun exercises will help the beginning light meter user develop good habits, and stronger lighting.
From reflected light readings to "placing the exposure" for maximum artistic presentation to using the ambient dome for flash in studio, this course is a simple to follow discussion of meters.
NOTE: We do not discuss the operation of any specific (Brand) kind of meters. You will still be required to read your manual to find out how to set your specific meter up, and the specific ways it works. But all meters DO the basic same things, and that is what we discuss on this course.
We use video and a few PDF's to show how to use a light meter in both reflective and ambient modes. There are three exercises to be done by the student that will help them learn their specific meter.
The course should be done in order, and there is over 2 hours of video content as well as PDF documents for your files.
If you are ready to learn to use a meter, to take control of your exposure this course is for you. Many photographers will tell you that 'chimping' is all you need to do. I disagree... there are far more reasons to use a light meter than merely exposure... and we will discuss them in this class.
The class is free... enjoy and keep shooting.
- Beginning Photographers with a Light Meter they do not know how to use
- Intermediate Photographers who want to take more control of their images
- Photographers who may have a light meter and are not familiar with how it works