"A competitive world has two options for you. You can lose, or if you want to win, you can change." — Lester Thureau
Unfortunately, many forget once this advice once they start work. Plus there are many, many skills not taught at universities that you will need to learn on your own. Other This course contains one of those skills sets — a competency that develops the skill set required to function as a:
• Transformational Leader, or
• A Great Founder
Books smarts is necessary, but it’s not smart to neglect the skills the university didn't teach you and employers expect you to have. You need to develop an “unfair competitive advantage."
FOCUS 1: GROWING TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERS
Being able to change and being able to change others helps you stand out. This involves building four transformational competencies. They are to:
• Develop a TRANSFORMATIONAL MINDSET. Lets face it, the system wants you to conform. Innovators think differently from the rest of us—and so do great transformational leaders.
• Build the Skill of SKILL DEVELOPMENT. Sad to say, few, very few managers could tell you how to build a skill. This results in billions of training dollars lost each year.
• Boost Your SOCIAL INFLUENCE. Remember the old saying, "Lead, follow or get out of the way?" Bosses who cannot exercise the nine elements power are not strong leaders, they act like a followers; and they probably block the way forward.
• Strive Toward SELF-MASTERY. Organizations continually focus great efforts on process improvement, but most forget about pushing continuous personal improvement. To borrow a phrase from the Army, you must "Be All That You Can Be."
FOCUS 2: DEVELOPING GREAT FOUNDERS
By definition, someone who turns a start-up into a large enterprise is a transformational leader. We add concepts from Great Founder theory so entrepreneurs understand that they are unfinished works, destined to keep improving themselves and work on the right skill sets.
I teach as an adjunct professor at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), Korea University (Seoul) and Woodbury University (Burbank). Plus have an MBA from the University of Iowa and a M. A. in Psychology from Harvard University.
A final word worth remembering when you look at Udemy classes. It goes, "If you think the classes are expensive, try costing ignorance."