Philippe Schafer was born and raised around Washington D.C. Formerly an operations engineer, he started stand up comedy on a whim in 2009 and since then he has been on stage over 1,000 times. He uses the stage to share insightful and intimate stories of his personal life and to showcase his incredibly remarkable, super cool dance moves. Audiences are always envious of his dancing skills. He can see it on their faces. They just never admit it.
He has performed all up and down the east coast of the United States and has opened for many great comedians that have been seen on the Late Show with David Letterman, Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, Chelsea Lately, and Comedy Central.
In addition, he works as a strength and conditioning coach for high school and collegiate athletes and a substitute physical education teacher in middle and high schools.
Take your courses with you and learn anytime, anywhere.
Learn and practice real-world skills and achieve your goals.
This course will teach you some of the many ways comedians make people laugh with their thoughts and stories.
In turn, you will learn how to make your own thoughts and stories hilarious!
This course is a beginner's guide to learning stand up comedy and will explain and instruct you how to write and deliver jokes. The advice and tips in this course can be also be applied to many everyday situations and helpful to many different people:
1. Learn amazing public speaking skills (stand up comedy is the easiest way to get speaking time in front of people). I will tell you how to get stage time and how different shows are structured.
2. Learn how to make your stories funnier in everyday conversation. This course will go into detail about what you should write about and the different writing devices used to make your ideas funny.
3. Spice up your current public speaking skills with joke writing and comedy writing devices. This course will explain all the components needed to make an audience laugh.
4. Conquer a fear of public speaking.
5. Learn the beginning process involved in stand up comedy and the what it takes to perform stand up on a regular basis. Most people are huge fans of stand up comedy but they have no clue what the process is like.
6. You will also learn timing and delivery techniques that will allow you to speak with conviction and maximize the amount audience members pay attention to you!
7. Also, there are some specific ways that you should network and market your abilities in the comedy world. This course will explain some of the most effective methods.
Here is an explanation of different types of comedians and what they talk about!
Your material should to be written in a certain format in order to maximize it's funnyness!
I enjoy every chapter
This was an excellent source of information and it was organized in a pretty streamlined fashion. I looked all over the internet for a thoughtful how-to for getting into stand up comedy and I couldn't really find anything useful until I found this course. Thanks!
I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot. Philippe is an engaging teacher and his lessons are concise and right to the point. I would definitely recommend this class to anyone interested in learning the basics of stand-up comedy.
This is a great intro to stand up. It's a fast paced course and very informative. Philippe gives you many nuanced pointers to start your comedy career. I would recommend taking a comedy course if you have the time because stage time is so important. This course will give a you a great idea of how to get started and if stand up is right for you.
I finished this course late 2013 and performed a couple times earlier in January 2014. The lessons covered help understand preparing a routine as well as etiquette while performing. What helped the most was his comprehensive list of websites and contacts in finding a venue near a major city. Taking a course is just the start, without that extra step removed in trying to find venues removed a large mental barrier in actually performing. Phil was also a local in my area and was kind enough to attend my standup, gave me incredibly powerful constructive feedback, and helped me improve on my exact same set that I was very proud of. 5 stars and thanks again Phil!