What is PHP?
In this lesson we learn the PHP stands for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" and runs before the HTML for a web page is generated. PHP runs a lot in WordPress and can be used outside of WordPress as well to build sites and applications.
- PHP is a programming language
- It runs on the server before HTML is sent to the browser
- PHP is used quite a lot in WordPress itself and in WordPress Development
- PHP can also be used outside of WordPress in other applications and web sites
Next up we practice writing some PHP.
Learn more from the full courseComplete WordPress Theme & Plugin Development Course 
Everything you need to become a hirable WordPress Developer building custom themes and plugins
16:04:39 of on-demand video • Updated January 2020
- PHP for WordPress - The Loop, Conditionals, Hooks and More!
- How to Work with Child and Starter Themes Like Pro
- The Ins and Outs of the Template Hierarchy - Always Know What File to Customize
- The Complete List of Template Tags To Use When Customizing and Extending Themes
- A Deep Understanding of How to Use Action and Filter Hooks to Programmatically Control WordPress
- A Solid Starter Template For Building Your Own WordPress Plugins
- Common Practices and Techniques for Building Custom WordPress Plugins