Find online courses made by experts from around the world.
Take your courses with you and learn anywhere, anytime.
Learn and practice real-world skills and achieve your goals.
Straddles and Strangles are also Volatility strategies and are very popular strategies. Both these strategies are non-directional, so its possible to profit from a movement in either direction. But the move must come fairly quickly, because we have two Long Options (one on the Call side and one on the Put side), and so our time decay exposure is doubled. Additionally, Vega exposure can be quite large, so this is something to watch for. In general, its best to put on Straddles and Strangles in times of low volatility as measured by the individual Implied Volatility of the stock itself as well as observing the level of the VIX Index. We also look at the "Valley of Death" where the trade can fall into trouble.
Straddles and Strangles fall into two categories of Strategies - 1) Non-directional strategies and 2) Volatility strategies.
In non-directional strategies, you don’t care if the Stock goes up or down. Your strategy profits from a move in either direction. The strategy starts out Delta Neutral – or at least you should try to construct it that way. But this does not mean your position will remain Delta neutral forever. In fact, your position will achieve a +ve Delta or a -ve Delta bias, depending on the stock’s movement. But these strategies have one clear advantage over others. You don’t have to be right in forecasting the direction of stock movement, and that fact alone put Straddle & Strangle strategies in our Favorites.
Not for you? No problem.
30 day money back guarantee.
Learn on the go.
Desktop, iOS and Android.
Certificate of completion.
|Section 1: INTRODUCTION TO STRADDLES AND STRANGLES|
|Introduction to the Straddle and Strangle trades. Discussion of the similarities and differences between the two.|
|Section 2: THE STRADDLE|
|Detailed analysis of a Straddle trade on Priceline (PCLN)|
|Setup of the Straddle trade on the SPY ETF. This is the trade we'll put in this course and monitor for its parameters|
|Section 3: The STRANGLE|
|Analysis of a Strangle trade on Priceline (PCLN)|
|Analysis of a Strangle trade on the SPY ETF|
|Section 4: THE STRADDLE TRADE - TRADE MANAGEMENT on the SPY ETF|
|Analysis the SPY Straddle - 1 day after the trade is placed|
|Analysis of the Straddle - Part 2|
|Analysis of the Straddle - Part 3. Study of the effects of Volatility crush|
|Analysis of the Straddle - Part 4. Tackling the negatives of a straddle|
|Conclusion and Learnings from a Straddle trade.|
Straddles and Strangles Quiz
Knowledge. Strategy. Execution.
Hari Swaminathan is the founder of OptionTiger, a cutting-edge Options Mentoring company, and a full-circle educator in all areas of Financial Markets, and developer of proprietary Intellectual Property around enhancing base case Options strategies (which favor the Market Makers) and turns that deficit into a massive EDGE on the trader's side.. Like building a "powerful Strategy for all Option Strategies". Hari is self-taught in Options and actively trading these instruments for almost 10 years. Hari has a Bachelors degree in Engineering from India, and MBA's from Columbia University in NYC and London Business School in London UK.
More than ever, its become important for normal people to take charge of their financial situation, and attempt to create additional income streams, or build wealth for the Long Run, in a smart, risk-controlled manner. This is precisely my mission. Through Knowledge, Education, and disciplined Money management approaches. Video-based courseware, Practical workshops , a 4-week Live Mentoring program and several other channels.
Let's break down the Options game in a brutal but realistic manner.
1. Options were invented out of thin air. And the people who invented it won Nobel Prizes for their invention (Fisher and Black). It is purely a "Mathematical" concept, with no real connections to the external except for one, that's defined implicitly by its deign.. Its the relationship between an Option and any Asset in the real world,.The associated relationship with any asset's price behavior in precisely defined time frames. In common language, it tries to answer a fundamental question underpinning all of humanity. What kind of mathematical model can help us define the risk of certain events happening, or not happening. The model is very similar to the Insurance industry who basically provide the odds calculated bty large and wide samples of data. It's only then they can provide somewhat of an accurate quote, based on Data science, Statistical Modeling and a heavy dose of Probability theory.
2. This gives birth to very complex but interesting analytical scenarios. It also gives us the ability to model Options with a set of tools like a car dashboard., but much more powerful and sophisticated approaches. In many cases, you don't need to see what the stock or the larger markets are doing. These numbers are embedded in the mathematical formulas that underpin Options.
3. Because everything in Options is defined in mathematical terms, its also important to realize that OPTIONS will always be the same. The math behind Options will always be the same. forever. Unless they discover serious flaws iin the formulas that tries to determine the fair Option price based on the kind of asset, its price action, Highs and Lows as defined in statistical terms over a certain fixed time frame. It should make some amount of intuitive sense, even if you can't nail it precisely at first..Things like Price Volatility in the "underlying asset, the time lkeft for the Option to expire (Every Option is created with a fixed period of life, and all Option die at some time (They expire) . But the short life that many Options go through, its a wild life, filled with roller coaster like adventures,.
4. As an analogy, you can make comparisons with the game of Chess. You may agree that Chess is a game of "skill". It's a game of strategy and how well you can plan (ahead) to attack, defend or take a neutral position . We also believe that Chess is strategy-focused and depends upon certain mathematical properties. The reason we know its a game of skill is : Try to play 100 chess games with Kasparov or Anand. Normal people are guaranteed a loss in all 100 games. And why do we know its underlying features are mathematics based L The reason that computers like Deep Blue can beat Kasparov by a majority, and as computer processing power has increased exponentially by many 1000's of times,, the human number crunching powers have pretty much been constant. So today all professional Chess players refuse to play the machine, because while they used to lose to them by majority, today it's almost guaranteed that they WILL LOSE EVERY GAME.
5. Lastly Options are just like Chess. They are a "skill set", and requires acquiring a deep set of analytical skills much more so han most skill sets, but can only be mastered over a period of time. We cannot turn into a Kasparov in a matter of weeks or even a few month. It does NOT work like that. But once you go through this process that can go for 1 to 2 years or more, there is a powerful light at the end of that tunnel. You build a skill set for life which means things like Age or geographical location, Lifestyles, Weather are no longer a barrier to create a consistent income streams strategically regardless of who you are, where you are, or how old you are. This is POWERFUL stuff. Now let's look at the negatives.
Options are easily the most fascinating financial instrument with several upside benefits, but they an equakky powerful set of minuses.
1. Options have a steep learning curve. Gon't expect to become Kasparov in a couple of months. Or even a year or two. You caan bbuild a Kas[arov or Anand in those timeframes. And why is this important to realize, Because we are playing a Kasparov or Anand every time we enter the Options market. Market Makers who are 99% of the time, the counter party to all Options trades, are Options professionals. with 10 to 20 years with exoerience in Optioms. . The company has entrusted the responsibility of providing liquidity to the market which is a :legal duty" but can have disastrous consequences. While we have hours tp plam our attaacks, the Market Maker literall seconds for a trade. In a normal day, a market maker can do many thousands of trades. One can omly be in awe of their skills.
2. If you're interested in Options, sp=o NOT approacg it with a mondset of or rewuirement to ,aking ,omey. This is not only npu goimg to happen, but iys a recipe for disaster. It's like a student of Medicine waning to ptactice thei skiils after 2 monyjs of study, Keepimh with the Chess analogy,, because its the best way to think about Options before you actually know Options. To develop a meaningful batting average, you will need Time, Patience, and Disipline. They domt develop overnight. Ifyou focus completely on the learning ideally practicing on paper money accounts
are powerful, but they have a learning curve. I've broken down all the complexities of Options in simple language that everyone can understand. The courseware uses real trade examples, always highlighting the pluses and minuses of every investment situation. Options provide the best way to take advantage of bull cycles, bear cycles and everything in between.
As someone that has self-learnt Options and through making mistakes, I can tell you Options trading is not something you should take lightly. You will hear people talking of fantastic triple and quadruple digit returns. I'm here to be brutally honest with you -
- Be very very careful in the first 12 months of Options trading.
- This is when everyone is the most vulnerable to losing money.
- Your main objective during this time is to focus on learning this craft and not lose money during this time.
Having said that, if you can get past the first 12 months and acquire the expertise in a systematic manner, true financial independence awaits.
You can trade Options from anywhere in the world, regardless of how old you are. You never have to worry about job security any more because you have a skill that can produce consistent wealth month after month.
But you have some serious but exciting work to do before you can get there, and I'm here to help you in this journey.
Watch my Free Course for Options Trading Beginners where I draw out a detailed roadmap of what this 12-month journey looks like, and the specific strategies you should master during each step of this learning process.
Watch my Free Mini-courses or my YouTube channel , all of which have the highest quality of education material.
And join me in my UDemy courses, where I share cutting-edge theoretical knowledge mixed with practical insights, strategy and impeccable execution through live trading examples.
If you have any questions at any time, please feel free to message me on Udemy.
The order to follow on my Udemy courses
Comprehensive guide to Financial Markets, Investing and Trading
Options Trading Beginners Bundle (3-course Bundle)
Advanced Options Concepts
Options spreads and credit spreads Bundle
Technical analysis and Chart reading Bundle
After this, the order does not matter. You can take any of the courses as per your interest.