Self-Publishing Ebooks with Smashwords
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- 5 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Self publish like a pro
Format ebooks from Microsoft Word Documents
Create Table of Contents, active hyperlinks and useful features within ebooks
- Convert MS Word to EPUB using Calibre
- Make great ebook covers while saving money
- Upload and sell ebooks at Smashwords
- Sell ebooks at Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Scribd, Oyster, Library Direct and many more!
- students can use Microsoft Word or another writing program to format their documents
- download the free Smashwords Style Guide
- download the free Calibre software for converting to Epub file type
Smashwords is the world's largest distributor of self-published ebooks. 350,000 authors have published with Smashwords for these great reasons:
1. Pays you 85% royalties on direct sales.
2. Converts your ebook into every file type for any possible e-reading device.
3. Distributes your ebook for sale to other retailers like Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Page Foundry, Baker & Taylor, Library Direct, Oyster, Scribd, Flipkart and OverDrive while handling the finances.
4. Allows you to generate ebook discounts for any amount and time frame. Perfect for gifting books or creating sale events.
5. Design an author profile with photos, videos, links to your print books, interview and more.
6. It's a free service. They only make money when you sell ebooks.
Smashwords is ideal for authors who want to save time and money.
The course is taught by Jason Matthews, bestselling author and Udemy expert for self-publishing topics.
Everything you need to:
- format documents with NCX file
- pass Meatgrinder and make Premium Catalog
- convert to ePub
- make covers
- upload and sell at Smashwords
- distribute to major retailers around the world
Smashwords pays a whopping 85% royalty to you on direct sales, plus they convert your other file types for every possible reading device. Smashwords also distributes your ebook to major retailers around the world. Every author should include Smashwords in their publishing plan, and this course shows you how.
Here are the URLs listed that appear in the videos. There are other link sections later (repeated) for cover design topics, ePub conversion, payments, taxes and site updates.
Here's a quick rundown of the most useful formatting tips before we implement them.
Let's put those tips to work in an example MS Word document. This is a great way to format ebooks.
Here's a second method for creating a Table of Contents that works great if you plan to upload an ePub file to Smashwords. We'll use MS Word's Reference tab, Heading 1 settings, and the Insert Table of Contents feature. This method is also preferred by Amazon Kindle should you decide to format a version for KDP Amazon or other retailers.