Practise Speaking English: Nursery Rhymes
- 34 mins on-demand video
- 41 articles
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Speak English like a native!
Speak English more fluently.
Pronounce English words better.
- Know more about English culture.
- To want to have fun learning to speak English.
Nursery rhymes are an easy and fun way to learn English. They help you practise your English pronunciation and improve your fluency in speaking English.
Have Fun Practising Speaking English.
- Learn more English words: build your English vocabulary.
- Practice English word patterns.
- Build confidence in speaking English.
- Find fun ways to use the English language.
- Speak English fluently!
Nursery rhymes are an easy and fun way to learn to speak English.
Nursery rhymes are short, little stories that all native English speakers learn when they are children. They are taught them by their parents and grandparents and will also play games based on the nursery rhymes at school and in the playground.
Therefore, every native English speaker that you may meet, will know these nursery rhymes!
Knowing these rhymes will give you something in common with any native English speaker that you might meet and therefore a common cultural link which will help you form friendships!
Most of all, nursery rhymes are a fun way to practice speaking the English language.
Listen and Repeat
This course uses the tried and tested, successful method of learning to speak English:
Listen and Repeat!
- You will listen to each nursery rhyme in short, entertaining videos.
- You will then practise speaking each nursery rhyme.
- It is extremely important, that you practise speaking out loud.
- Speaking out loud fixes the language patterns, pronunciation and vocabulary in your brain!
You may notice that each of the nursery rhymes often has an associated tune or a particular rhythm which is learnt alongside it.
Some of the rhymes also have actions!
Some of the nursery rhymes are naturally spoken quite quickly. We have included a slow version for if you have difficulty following the normal speed version.
- Practise speaking English in the same way that native English speakers learn.
- Improve your pronunciation, tone, rhythm and fluency.
- Anyone who wants to learn English like a native!
- Anyone who wants to practise speaking English.
- Anyone who wants an easy way to become more fluent in speaking English.
- Anyone who is looking for a fun way to improve their spoken English.
- Anyone who wants to have fun learning English.
English uses several rules to help with its idiosyncratic spelling.
One of these rules is
- "i before e except after c"
However, to every spelling rule in English there are always exceptions!
In the Grand Old Duke of York, we heard the word neither.
It is an exception to this rule.
The following quiz will help you practise using this rule.
A nursery rhyme uses words that rhyme!
To rhyme, means words that have similar sounds (but do not mean the same).
For example: diddle and fiddle.
This quiz is a fun way to test your knowledge of rhymes!
Your own language may use sounds that are very different to English and make pronunciation of certain English sounds difficult for you. If you find it difficult to say some of the words in this quiz, please ask for help in the Q & A section of the course dashboard.