SECTION I - PHILOSOPHY AND DEFINITION OF SPREADS
We introduce all four Options Spreads in this Bundle (Bull Call, Bear Call, Bull Put and Bear Put). This bundle is a very comprehensive coverage of all four Option spreads. Options spreads sit right in between the 4 basic Option positions and the more Advanced level Option strategies. The Spread is the bridge between the basic Option strategies and the advanced strategies. In fact, most advanced strategies are composed of the spreads we cover in this course, so this stuff is key. For the busy professional, Spreads offer the right mix of reward and risk. All 4 vertical spreads introduced in this course are extensions of the 4 basic Options. Spreads add an element of cost control and / or risk control to individual Options positions. Master the four Options Spreads, and you would have acquired a skill that can create consistent monthly income. Additionally, you'll be well on your way to mastering the advanced Options strategies.
SECTION - II REAL LIVE TRADES ON THE 4 OPTION SPREADS
THE BULL CALL SPREAD
The Bull Call Spread is an extension of the Long Call Option. When you buy a Call Option, you are bullish. The Bull Call spread maintains the bullish element of the Long Call while controlling your costs and has a limited losses profile. Of course, everything is a compromise. But you would probably be willing to make this compromise. We explain why this spread is called a Bull Call spread, and how to address any confusion from these strange names. The risk-reward profile of a Bull Call spread is very favorable. We define why the Bull Call spread is a Debit spread, and study its Profit and Loss diagrams in detail. We put a real trade on IBM and we navigate the trade for a couple of weeks.
THE BEAR CALL SPREAD
The Bear Call Spread is a credit spread, and we explain why credit spreads are a viable way to assuming an Option seller's profile. The Bear Call spread limits your risk. We study the role of Probability in selecting credit spreads as well as Implied volatility considerations and time decay. Time decay is a key component of credit spreads and the Bear Call spread can be an excellent way to generate monthly income. All spreads can be part of the busy professional's playbook, but credit spreads can be especially attractive. We analyze the right criteria for credit spreads, including the selection of the expiry series as well as the individual Options itself. We put a real trade on Amazon (AMZN) and track, monitor and adjust this trade until its exit.
THE BEAR PUT SPREAD
The Bear Put spread can be a powerful strategy for bear markets. The Bear Put is an extension of the Long Put Option. The Bear Put has some specific features, which make it a very attractive spread, and we dig deep into these characteristics. We put a real trade on Netflix (NFLX). The risk reward characteristics of Bear Put spreads are very attractive as its losses are limited. The Bear Put, just like the Long Put is a Vega positive trade, so this trade can optimize a bearish move as well as any upside from Implied volatility changes. The choice of expiry series, time decay effects and the choices of individual Options are also important.
THE BULL PUT SPREAD
The Bull Put spread is a flat to bullish that profits primarily from time decay, but can also profit quicker from a move to the upside. Its important to pick the right strike prices for the Bull Put spread, as is a thorough analysis of the stock's chart and support levels. In this course, this is what we do - we pick Google (GOOG) as our candidate for the Bull Put, and analyze past price action, support levels and put on a successful Bull Put spread.
MONTHLY INCOME STRATEGIES PRIMER
This is a BUSY PROFESSIONALS SERIES. If you have a regular job, then you need strategies that allow you to focus on your job, but yet create a somewhat stable and reliable income stream from your investments. The Covered Call, which we covered in COURSE I, is an excellent example of such a strategy. In this PRIMER, we dig deep into credit spreads and understand why being an Option seller (risk defined of course - no naked selling) may not be that bad after all.
This is Course IV of a 4-course step-by-step program to achieving Options mastery.
Course I - Introduction to Options - Learn about Call Options and Put Options is a detailed step-by-step explanation of Options, Call Options and Put Options with theory and practical application with Apple (AAPL) Options
Course IV is on Options Spreads - This is the heart of Options Trading. Once you master Options spreads, you have acquired a skill that can generate consistent monthly income for the rest of your life.
The Bull call spread is also called a Debit spread and this spread is a direct extension of the Long Call single Option. How does the Bull Call spread tackle the negatives of a Long Call position. And what are the compromises. Also introduces the Bull Put Spread, a Credit spread
Bear Put is an extension of the Long Put single option. The Bear Call is an extension of the Short call single option. Once you put a Bear call spread, the unlimited risk profile of a Short call disappears.
Knowledge. Strategy. Execution.
Hari Swaminathan is the founder of OptionTiger, a cutting-edge Options Mentoring company, and a full-circle educator in all areas of Financial Markets, Hari has developed several proprietary Intellectual Property "methods and approaches" around enhancing base case Options strategies (which favor the Market Makers) and turns that deficit into a massive EDGE on the trader's side.. Like building a powerful Strategy "for all Option Strategies".
Hari is self-taught in Options and actively trading these instruments for almost 10 years, mostly through trial and error. Trial and error in general, is an excellent method of learning, but applied in this context, trial and error CAN BE EXPENSIVE. My courseware focuses on this aspect mostly, so you can avoid losing money in the 1 to 2 years when you're learning. Yes, it does take that long, if not more. If the markets were indeed simple, you'd have everyone involved in it. Patience, Diligence, and Determination are what you need during this time.
Hari has a Bachelors degree in Engineering from India, and MBA's from Columbia University in NYC and London Business School in London UK.
More than ever, its become important for normal people to take charge of their financial situation, and truly understand how financial markets, and the various asset classes, trading nuances really work. Investing in the financial markets is no longer a HANDS-OFF ACTIVITY. There's no point blaming financial advisors after the fact. Now, it's become crucial for everyone to do "their OWN homework", so you can decide for yourself whether something is good or risky. This is of course easier said than done, and that's exactly where we come in.
My mission is to educate everyday people on the deep, strategic underpinnings of the stock markets, and exploit that knowledge with the use of OPTIONS. THERE IS NOTHING RANDOM about the markets. There are surprises all the time, but there's always a method behind every madness. And my goal is to get you to this point of understanding and awareness. That's when it starts to fit in.
Knowledge, Education, Crafting Breakthrough strategy, Technical analysis, Following Smart Money, Risk management, Disciplined Money management, and near flawless Execution approaches are just a few of the crucial points emphasized in all the Courses. Video-based education courseware, Practical workshops, several elite proprietary Advanced systems, a 4-week Live Mentoring program are just a few things we offer. The goal is to provide a "full circle" education in the Markets, which is necessary before it starts "fitting in".
Let's break down the Options game in a realistic manner.
1. Options were invented out of thin air. And the people who invented them won Nobel Prizes for their invention (Fisher and Black). It is purely a "Mathematical" concept.
2. This gives rise to very complex but interesting analytical scenarios. It also gives us the ability to model Options with a set of tools like a car dashboard. This data is embedded in the mathematical formulas that underpin Options structure itself.
3. Because everything in Options is defined in mathematical terms, its also important to realize that OPTIONS will always be the same. Forever. Unless they discover serious flaws in the formulas and models used by these Nobel winners.
4. Options and Chess have LARGE overlaps. You may agree that Chess is a game of "skill". It's a game of Strategy and depends upon how well you can plan (ahead) to attack, defend or take a neutral position. We also believe that Chess is strategy-focused and depends upon certain mathematical principles. Why or How do we know this - The reason we know its a game of skill is : Try to play 100 chess games with Kasparov or Anand. Normal people are almost guaranteed a loss in all 100 games. So it has to be a game of skill. And why do we know its underlying features are mathematics based. The fact that a computer like Deep Blue beat the GrandMaster Garry Kasparov in 1997.
5. Lastly, You MUST believe this completely - Options, just like Chess, are a "skill set", and requires acquiring a deep set of analytical skills much more so than most skill sets in the world, and THEY can only be MASTERED over a period of time. Once you understand Options better, you'll realize how true this is. But, there is a very powerful light at the end of this tunnel. You build a skill set for life. Age, Geographical location, Lifestyles, or Weather are no longer a barrier to creating consistent income streams, regardless of who you are, where you are, or how old you are.
This is very POWERFUL stuff.
Now let's look at the negatives. This is what most people will NOT tell you. Anyone that tells you Options are SIMPLE, and you can make extra ordinary income easily, is JUST NOT TRUE. I will tell you Options can be brutal if you simply apply speculative methodologies. And once you can develop a SYSTEMATIC approach to every situation (which is the Real Game), you'll be well on your way to consistent performance.
Options are easily the most fascinating financial instrument with several upside benefits, but also an equally powerful set of negatives.
1. Options have a steep learning curve. Don't expect to become Kasparov in a couple of months. Market Makers who are 99% of the time, the counter party to all Options trades, are Options professionals, with 10 to 20 years of experience, in performing their "legal duty" of providing liquidity.
2. If you're interested in Options, try NOT approach it with a mindset or requirement of making money. This is not only NOT going to happen, but its a recipe for disaster. It's like a student of Medicine wanting to practice their skills after 2 months of study.
3) As someone that has self-learnt Options and through making mistakes from Trial and Error, I can tell you Options trading is not something you should take lightly. You will hear people talking of fantastic triple and quadruple digit returns. I'm here to be brutally honest with you -
- Be very very careful in the first 12 months of Options trading.
- This is when everyone is the most vulnerable to losing money.
- Your main objective during this time is to focus on learning this craft
Having said that, if you can get past the first 12 months and acquire the expertise in a Systematic manner with Systematic approaches to every situation, true financial independence awaits. But you have some serious but exciting work to do before you get there, and I'm here to help you in this journey.
And join me in my UDemy courses, where I share cutting-edge theoretical knowledge mixed with practical insights, strategy and impeccable execution approaches, through live trading examples. How do we know it's all this (don't just go by my word). Check what 30,000 students have to say in 3100 Reviews, with almost 2800 of them being 5-Star or 4-Star
If you have any questions at any time, please feel free to message me on Udemy.
The order to follow on my Udemy courses
Comprehensive guide to Financial Markets, Investing and Trading
Options Trading Beginners Bundle (3-course Bundle)
Advanced Options Concepts
Options spreads and credit spreads Bundle
Technical analysis and Chart reading Bundle
After this, the order does not matter. You can take any of the courses as per your interest.