Learning Joomla! 3 Extension Development
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 downloadable resource
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Build a component to save, retrieve, and display custom data
Add dynamic data with the model-view-controller to display the page and language file
Add finishing touches to the component which include a router file, print view, and RSS feed
- Implement ACL in a component and add parameters to a menu item
- Add category functionality to a component
- Create a frontend editing form and add it to a component
- Build a basic module and add standard field types to a module
- Create search and content plugins for a custom component
- Build a template that uses Bootstrap CSS
Learn how to set up a basic, bare bones component upon which we will build on in subsequent exercises.
As you need to create new entries and delete existing entries, learn how to add buttons for these functions.
The admin needs to be able to change the state of an item to published or unpublished. Here you’ll learn how to add a field for publishing and unpublishing items.
We need to build a module for a Joomla! site. We will start with the simplest format, which we can use to build upon later, and publish it to the site.
We have configuration settings for the component but we don't have a way to override them on the menu item level. In this exercise we will add menu item options which will override the component configuration options.
- A working knowledge of Joomla! 3 administration, PHP, and MySQL is a requirement to follow along with this course, but prior knowledge of using extensions is not expected.
- Learning Joomla! 3 Extension Development contains step-by-step instructions on how to utilize Joomla! extensions to achieve optimal performance on your website. It shows you how to perform specific tasks in Joomla! using the popular extensions available in the Joomla! extensions directory. It will also help you to choose the right extension for performing a specific task in Joomla!
This video course provides you with a step-by-step tutorial for building a basic component with frontend editing. You will also learn how to build both content and search plugins for your component, how to build a module to display data from your component, and finally how to build a template using Bootstrap CSS.
The course starts by teaching you how to build a basic, bare bones component for inserting and displaying recipes using the minimum amount of code that is needed for a component. No component is complete without search and content plugins. You will start off by building standard search and smart search plugins, a content plugin for inserting our component’s data into a content item, and adding code to insert other plugins’ data into our display page. The plugins will make our recipes searchable on the site and will enable the insertion of recipes into content articles.
You will then move on to build a basic module, add standard field types, and finally add a custom field type when standard fields are not enough. The module will display select recipes from our collection. Finally, you will also learn how to build a template that uses Twitter Bootstrap’s CSS.
Learning Joomla! 3 Extension Development makes it fast and easy to develop your own custom Joomla! components, plugins, modules, and templates.
About the Author
Donna Vincent has been developing websites since 2004, and she has been using the Joomla! platform since 2006. In 2009, she began developing custom Joomla! extensions for her clients. She is also an EDI and barcode programmer. Donna lives and works in the New York City area and enjoys food photography when not building websites.
- If you want to build a basic Joomla! website and are looking for information on the use of Joomla! extensions and their customization, then this course is for you.