Learning a basic board design is essential for everyone who would like to work in electronics or who would like to design electronic boards or products. Learning board design in the right software can open you door into many companies, help you to get a well paid job and can be used to design very complex and advanced boards.
Design a Real Board and Learn Essentials of Using Altium Designer
- Draw your own schematic
- Route your PCB and do layout
- Generate documentation needed to manufacture your PCB
Altium Designer is a Powerful Software
During this course you will learn how to use Altium Designer software. Altium Designer is a professional software used to design all kind of boards, from very simple ones to motherboards or servers. It is one of the most used software for electronic design. Learning Altium is useful for everyone planning or already working in electronics.
Contents and Overview
You will start with Arduino Uno reference schematic. You will learn how to re-draw the schematic, modify it, you will learn how to improve it and how to do PCB layout. The course videos are step-by-step and even if you are new in electronics or you have never used Altium Designer before, by repeating these steps, you will design your own board. By the end of this course, you will create all the necessary documents needed to manufacture the board.
Within 15 hours you will learn how to:
- Draw schematic, including tips for component selection and important circuits
- Create components, draw schematic symbols and footprints
- Place components into your PCB
- Route PCB and useful tips about layout
- Create 3D model of your board
- Create board variants with different components fitted / not fitted
- Create Bill of Material (BOM)
- Create assembly drawings showing position of components on the board
- Generate Gerbers, Pick and Place, Drill file and other files needed for manufacturing
- Prepare professional documents needed to manufacture your PCB and assemble your board
- Bring your board to life, flash firmware and run a simple LED Blinky example
For everyone interested, the manufacturing documents created during this course can be used to build your board. Simply use PCB manufacturing data to get your PCB, buy components from Digikey and solder them by yourself.
Enjoy this course :)
Robert has designed motherboards based on Intel, AMD, VIA processors. His Youtube hardware design videos have over 1.5 million views. Robert also teaches Schematic Design and PCB Layout at FEDEVEL Academy.
Other Robert's courses
- Advanced PCB Layout (includes high speed layout)
- Advanced Hardware Design (Schematic & PCB Design Course)
- Learn Altium Essentials (Switching Power Supply Design Course)
- Learn the Essentials of creating uBoot, Linux and YOCTO
Open Source Hardware Development
All Robert's courses are based on real projects. This way, everyone has an opportunity to practice and learn on real boards. Robert has lead and supported development of several Open Source boards used in his courses:
- 28Pins: Based on Arduino Project
- iMX6Rex: Boards based on iMX6 1.2GHz ARM CPU
- OpenRexKit: Education kit to learn programming and electronics
Robert has skills and experience in following areas (10+ years)
- electronic product hardware development (from idea to product)
- schematic design & PCB layout (including high speed design)
- hardware debugging, assembling, verification and testing
- processor and microcontroller board design (x86, MIPS, ARM …) based on Intel, VIA, AMD, Texas Instruments, Freescale, NXP, Qualcomm, Atmel, Microchip, ST ... including Linux and Windows CE compilation, driver modification, microcontroller firmware programming
- interfaces and peripherals: DDR3, DDR2, DDR, FSB, PCI Express, Gb Ethernet, SATA, PCI, ITP, GSM, GPS, CF, PCMCIA, IDE, ISA, LVDS, SDVO, RGB, Composite TV, VGA, HDMI USB, SD, PS2 Keyboard, Mouse, Audio, Touchscreen, JTAG, RS485, CAN, RS232, SPI, I2C, ISDN, PSTN, WiFi, miniPCI, PCIE minicards, COM Express, ZigBee, CPLD, FPGA designs (Xilinx, Altera ...)
- Software: Altium Designer, Cadence Allegro (Orcad, Spectra ...), PADS, Microsoft Visual C++, Delphi, Xilinx ISE, ispLEVER, AVR Studio ...
- programming languages C/C++, VHDL, ABEL, Assemblers, Html, Perl, PHP ...
- design for mass production / cost effective solutions
- EMC design, testing and measurement