A Practical Introduction to Cloud Computing
- Accurately define what Cloud Computing is and is not
Understand how Cloud Computing differs from traditional IT deployment models
Understand the building blocks of Cloud Computing
- Define IaaS, PaaS, SaaS and XaaS and understand how they differ from each other
- Understand the IaaS options including virtual machines on shared physical servers, virtual machines on dedicated servers, and dedicated bare-metal servers
- Deploy a virtual machine on Amazon Web Services IaaS
- Deploy an application on IBM Bluemix PaaS
- Give examples of SaaS services they have already signed up for
- List the advantages of Cloud Computing over traditional deployment models
- Perform a TCO cost comparison between an On Premises or Cloud deployment for a real world IT workload
- A basic foundational level knowledge of computer networks
The 2nd top hit for 'Cloud Computing' on Google says 'Cloud computing is a general term for the delivery of hosted services over the internet.' Unfortunately, that definition is completely wrong.
This course is designed to clear up the many misunderstandings about Cloud Computing and to give you a crystal clear and easy to understand explanation of exactly what it is, how it works, the different options available, the advantages provided and how much it's going to cost.
And I'm not just going to give you the theory, I'm going to show you practical examples which you can follow along with yourself so you'll understand exactly how Cloud Computing works in the real world.
I start off with a review in Module 1 of the traditional deployment models of On Premises and Colo so you can understand how Cloud changes things, then explain how server virtualisation revolutionised data center design and paved the way for Cloud.
Module 2 defines Cloud Computing by listing the Essential Characteristics of Cloud services.
You'll learn about the Cloud Service Models of IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, and XaaS in Module 3. I start with an overview of the different models and then dive deep into the details and options of each. I also give lab demos of how to deploy each type.
The Cloud Deployment Models of Public Cloud, Private Cloud, Hybrid Cloud and Community Cloud are covered in Module 4.
Finally in Module 5 I list out the advantages of Cloud Computing and then break out the spreadsheet to show you how to do a TCO cost comparison when choosing between an On Premise or Cloud deployment for a real world workload.
A verifiable course certificate stating you have completed this training will be provided at the end of the course. This will prove to potential future employers that you have the basic cloud knowledge necessary to be an effective member of their IT team, and the motivation to complete further training and be a real asset to their company.
As a student in this course, you will get an answer to every question you ask in the Ask Question section. I love interaction with my students- anything you want to know, please ask.
Thank you for taking the time to read about the course. I hope you now have enough motivation to get into the learning right away. If so, click the Enroll Now button at the top of the page to get started!
- Any decision maker or IT professional who needs an easy to understand explanation of Cloud Computing