Intro to the Army Professional Reading Programme
- Use the New Zealand Army Professional Reading Programme
Develop a professional reading plan
Find contemporary and historical sources of military knowledge
- Appreciate the contemporary relevance of ten texts from the past
- Engage with The Hub and follow the APRP Groups
This course introduces the 'why', 'what' and 'how' of professional military reading. The course outlines why professional reading is important to your career development and gives valuable pointers to help you get the most from the time you invest in reading. The course also provides guidance on what to read; not only some key texts recommended by your peers globally, but also valuable online journals, magazines and blogs that are worthy of your attention. The course finishes by introducing the 'Army Professional Reading Programme' (APRP) and its key features, and provides an introduction to ten books from the past that still provide valuable instruction and entertainment to military audiences to this day. Enjoy!
- This course is for New Zealand Army and NZDF personnel interested in developing their military knowledge
- Other military professionals might find this course of interest
This final lecture highlights ten texts from Antiquity to the Nineteenth Century that still have valuable lessons for our professional development.
We have chosen the texts for their readability and relevance for a modern audience, and their ready availability in copyright-free online editions and in print.
Part One seeks to help you understand the context and relevance of five military texts from the pre-industrial era and note some choice quotes from them.