Break Into A Technology Startup
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- 10 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Prepare you for an awesome startup job
Equip you with the job search strategies you need to rise to the top of all applicants
Introduce you to the world of technology marketing
- A step by step action plan for success from beginning to end
- A strategy that takes you from Zero to your dream job with specific tactics along the way
- A computer and an open mind
- A willingness to work hard to reach your goals
- A desire to work for an amazing tech startup
Have you ever wondered what kind of impact you could make at a small company with huge growth potential?
Are you interested in growing your career and advancing well beyond your peers?
There is a reason why jobs at startup companies are among the most desired jobs in any industry:
- Super smart co-workers
- The chance to have an impact
- The opportunity to advance your career 10X faster than working at a larger firm
So, what’s stopping you from landing an awesome startup job?
This course is a step by step guide for people who currently don't possess any technical skills but want to land the startup marketing or business job of their dreams.
In this course we focus on one of the most impactful jobs a startup will ever have - GROWTH!
A growth role in a technology start up might be right for you if you want to:
Touch multiple parts of the business, including design, sales, web development, and product.
You are either creative or numbers driven
Are prepared to build one of the most in demand skill sets in the industry.
Grow your network far beyond what you imagined, ensuring when you are up for that next startup role, it will be there waiting for you.
Own the growth of your company, and have a huge impact on whether your product successfully scales!
The path of most growth marketers is CEO/Founder, highly paid marketing director, or CMO.
Despite being one of the most difficult jobs to hire for - technology marketing does not require you to have specialized coding or sales skills.
You just need to be strategic, understand the major marketing concepts, and be willing to learn! Your career will know no limits if you can work hard, execute and learn on your feet.
This course is the first step by step guide with exact strategies, word-for-word scripts, and proven tactics to land a Startup tech marketing role.
Best of all, this course is specifically designed for those who want to break into a business side startup job right from college or a different industry.
Here is just *some* of what you will learn in this course:
- A step by step strategy for breaking into a startup, even if you don’t know where to start
- A proven approach to connect with the right people to get an interview at your dream startup.
- A roadmap for your entire job search and networking strategy.
- A powerful method for answering any interview question like a top performer.
- Exact strategies for pitching companies that ensures you rise to the top of all applicants
- A deep understanding of how startup founders select employees hint: they don’t hire from job boards.
- Learn how to learn: We don’t just show you how to break in, we give you the tools to win at interviews for top startups again and again, your career will never be the same!
Here is An Outline of All the Awesome Things You're Going to Learn
Module 1: Startup Marketing Foundations
- Learn why growth at a technology startup is so critical to success, and how startup founders and CEOs really think about the role. At the end of this module, you will be speaking the same language as the pros. You’ll also learn the most common types of startup marketing jobs out there.
Module 2: Becoming a Top Performer
- The best way to understand what distinguishes a good startup marketer is to understand the huge challenges they help solve in a startup environment. In this module, you will learn about the common challenges and skills needed in your role, so you can position yourself as the solution to your dream company’s problem.
Module 3: Developing a Bulletproof Job Search Strategy
- Breaking into a tech startup is incredibly hard. In this module, we will give you the step by step job search, networking, and organizational strategies you will need to separate yourself from the pack. You will have an awesome battle plan ready after this module.
Module 4: Building the Network of a Top Performer
- The strategies and mindsets in this course will show you what you need to do to build an insanely powerful network of influential people who are invested in seeing you succeed. More often than not, a strong network determines wether or not you will be successful, this module shows you how to get one.
Module 5: Killer Strategies for Breaking In
Having the desire to work for a tech startup is not enough you need skills, strategies that set you apart from other candidates. In this module, we equip you with the strategies you need to lay a job search foundation.
Module 6: Getting the interview
Most startups are totally overwhelmed with resumes
from applicants who don’t know how to play the game. Don’t fall prey to blind resume submissions. We will show you how to approach the application process so you will rise to the top of the pile
Module 7: Acing the interview
Remember, an interview is a performance. In this module, we will show you how to perform like a top candidate during the interview, and will show you how to answer difficult questions and impress your hiring manager.
This course is for:
- People who want to break into a top tech startup and are willing to put the effort needed for this difficult task.
- People interested in getting one of the few coveted, non-technical jobs at a startup, especially in marketing.
- Those who are willing to build a strong network of friends and colleagues that help them have their dream career.
This course is not for people who think there is a magic bullet to finding your dream job, or for people who bought a course hoping it would solve their career problems. You need to take action and be creative, using the tactics, scripts and deep job search strategies outlined in this course.
The choice is up to you:
- Continue to struggle at finding your way into a job you are excited to go to every day, hoping at some point that your current situation will improve.
2. Take action now in your career and set yourself on the path to landing that dream startup job.
No matter where you are in the job search process, if you take even one strategy or mindset away from this course, the result could result in a dramatic improvement in your career.
I will personally respond to any questions you may have as you work through these presentations. I am invested in your success and happy to help!
- Anyone interested in breaking into a top technology startup (particularly on the marketing side)
- Recent graduates or career changers who have no startup experience, but still want to land their dream startup job
This video discusses the course structure, and goals, and delivers some important but often overlooked concepts that are core to success at finding a dream job.
In this section we will define and discuss startup marketing in great detail.
We will discuss how most technology entrepreneurs think about the process of marketing their product from start to finish, going through each stage in this marketing funnel so you have a strong idea how these companies hope to bring their product to market and drive sales.
If you really take the time to dig in and understand this section, and read all the supplementary sources provided, you will have a very strong marketing knowledge, that will allow you to discuss marketing with potential employers.
I this section, I discuss the common marketing challenges startups are facing today.
It is important to understand the challenges your target companies face, both in terms of business challenges, and pressure from investors.
If the value you provide demonstrates that you are able to solve these problems, you have gone a long way toward being a marketable candidate.
Unlike other roles within a company, such as sales or programming, the job of a startup marketer can vary widely from one company or department to another.
In this video, we will discuss the numbers job functions you might take on as a junior marketer, giving you in depth insight into the profession so you can position your interests to fit with specific job roles.
In this video, I highlight a aspects of being a strong marketer that might be overlooked by recent graduates coming from an informal university environment.
I want to focus on three specific aspects of being a great marketer in this video:
- The ability to manage oneself
- Detail & professionalism
- The ability to work cross functionally and run projects
These are extremely important to demonstrating you are the right fit for a fast past startup environment.
In this section, I will talk a little bit about what will be expected from you as a junior marketer, what you workflow might look like, how to optimize that workflow, and give you some insight into what your boss is expecting this role to mean for the company.
These videos contain perhaps the most important lessons I can convey to you. We will be focusing on job search strategies. But this section will go well beyond a collection of tactics.
I hope to instill in you a methodology for systematically finding and closing in on your dream job.
In this video, I show you how to use Trello to organize your process, so you can keep track of your job prospects, prepare well in advance for interviews and networking, and make notes as you improve and grow your job search campaign.
In this section, we are going to show you how to kick off your networking efforts and begin to build a contact list. We will show you how to use these initial connections to open up the door to discussions with hiring managers. This will eventually lead to interviews.
In this section, we show you how to handle the post event follow up email so you can keep the discussion going and start building traction.
We will show you how to connect with people you have met at events and turn that initial meeting into a fruitful connection.
This important section offers exact follow up email templates you can use!
Many aspiring startup marketers and business people believe that they do not have the requisite experience to land a startup job.
In this section, we will describe some strategies you can use, which, when paired with the networking skills described above, are very effective in solving this problem:
Startup founders love hustlers - in this section - we’ll show you how you can demonstrate hustle to a potential employer.
Creating a portfolio that demonstrates your skills and passion for the job is a powerful strategy that differentiates you from other applicants. In this video, we will discuss why this strategy works so well and provide some examples and suggestions you can use for your own marketing or business side portfolio peice.
And discuss when in the process you should use your work portfolio for maximum effect.
In this video, we discuss career accelerators. These are incredibly valuable full time postgraduate training programs designed, like this course, to bridge that challenging gap between where you are now and the startup job of your dreams.
In this section, we talk about why these career accelerators are such a great resource for a recent graduate or career changer looking to break into tech.
In this section, we are going to show you how to kick off your networking efforts, begin to build a contact list, and use those initial connections to open up the door to an interivew at your dream company.
You’ve worked incredibly hard to land an interview at the start up company of your dreams.
All of your hard work has paid off, and you have been invited to meet the team. Now comes the crucial moment where you distinguish yourself from other applicants and land your dream startup marketing job. This video shows you how to prepare for this critical final stage in the process.
Answering questions is an extremely important part of making your performance shine. In this section, I will dig a little deeper into the response format discussed in the previous video. Since most candidates do not deliver succinct, information rich answers, doing this is an excellent way to distinguish yourself from other candidates.
I conclude with a few important pieces of advice for startup marketers that will help them succeed in their first roles and beyond.
If you want to be successful in your new role, you’ll need to
Set realistic expectations
Be willing to ask questions
Get good at reporting and documenting work
And cultivate the ability to manage yourself
Getting the job is just the beginning, forming a habit of doing these things is an equally important piece of the puzzle.
Lets talk about each in turn.