Do It Yourself Immigration: Green Cards for Spouses

How to apply for lawful permanent residence (i.e., a Green Card) in the United States based on marriage to a citizen.
3.9 (4 ratings)
Instead of using a simple lifetime average, Udemy calculates a
course's star rating by considering a number of different factors
such as the number of ratings, the age of ratings, and the
likelihood of fraudulent ratings.
351 students enrolled
92% off
Take This Course
  • Lectures 23
  • Length 2.5 hours
  • Skill Level All Levels
  • Languages English
  • Includes Lifetime access
    30 day money back guarantee!
    Available on iOS and Android
    Certificate of Completion
Wishlisted Wishlist

How taking a course works


Find online courses made by experts from around the world.


Take your courses with you and learn anywhere, anytime.


Learn and practice real-world skills and achieve your goals.

About This Course

Published 10/2014 English

Course Description

This course is specifically tailored for immigrants who are married to a U.S. citizen, reside in the U.S., entered lawfully, and are seeking a green card through family-based immigration. This course will enable you to complete the necessary forms accurately and provide the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services with the required supporting documentation, all without the need for an expensive immigration attorney.

However, this course is not intended for complex cases that require an attorney's expertise. To that end, if any of the following apply to your situation, this course will be useful, but cannot provide you with the specific guidance you may need:

1. You entered the U.S. without inspection (e.g., you are an unauthorized immigrant);

2. You are currently in or have previously been in immigration proceedings (i.e., immigration court);

3. You have been previously removed from the U.S. by Customs and Border Patrol or Immigration & Customs Enforcement; or

4. You have a criminal history beyond traffic citations, driving without a license, and other simple matters.

The course includes an overview of the immigration system and necessary terminology, and then proceeds to walk you through each required USCIS form: Form I-130, Form G-325A, Form I-131, Form I-765, Form I-485, and Forms I-864, I-864A, and I-864W. It concludes with an description of the various supporting documents required by USCIS to prove your case and a brief description of what to expect once you have filed.

This precise, "how-to" knowledge would easily cost in the $1000s, but this start-to-finish course gives YOU the power to do it yourself! Enroll today!

What are the requirements?

  • You must meet the eligibility requirements stated above in order for this lecture to be helpful in your quest for a green card.

What am I going to get from this course?

  • By the end of the course, you will be able to accurately complete all USCIS forms required to request a green card.
  • By the end of the course, you will know which supporting documents are required by USCIS.
  • By the end of the course, you will be familiar with the post-filing process and know what to expect in the coming months.

Who is the target audience?

  • This course is intended solely for immigrants that reside in the United States, are married to a U.S. citizen, entered the U.S. lawfully, have no significant criminal history, prior removal orders, or prior immigration court proceedings, and who desire to obtain a green card.

What you get with this course?

Not for you? No problem.
30 day money back guarantee.

Forever yours.
Lifetime access.

Learn on the go.
Desktop, iOS and Android.

Get rewarded.
Certificate of completion.


Section 1: Course Overview & Immigration 101
Course Overview
Introduction to Immigration Terminology
Section 2: How Do I Apply?
Introduction to Form I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative
Step by Step: Form I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative
4 questions

Determine whether you've retained the key concepts regarding Form I-130.

Step by Step: Form G-325A
3 questions

This quiz will make sure you complete the form accurately!

Step by Step: Form I-485, Petition to Adjust Status
2 questions

This quiz will make sure you complete the form accurately!

Step by Step: Form I-131, Advance Parole
Step by Step: Form I-765, Employment Authorization
Supporting Documents: What Do I Send to USCIS?
Form I-693, Medical Examination
Section 3: Affidavits of Support
Introduction to Forms I-864, I-864A, I-864EZ, and I-864W
Step by Step: Form I-864EZ, Affidavit of Support
Step by Step: Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
Step-by-Step: Form I-864, Calculation of Assets
3 questions

See if you've mastered the material!

Step by Step: Form I-864A, Affidavit of Support
Form I-864P
Step by Step: Form I-864W, Exemption to Affidavit of Support
Section 4: Post-Filing Process
The 30-60-90 Rule
What Should I Expect After I File?
Conditional Resident vs. Lawful Permanent Resident
Useful USCIS Tools for Your Case
Section 5: Course Wrap-Up
Course Wrap-Up
Section 6: Bonus Materials: Updates and Miscellaneous Pointers
How to Adjust Status in U.S. DESPITE Illegal Entry

Students Who Viewed This Course Also Viewed

  • Loading
  • Loading
  • Loading

Instructor Biography

Spencer Larche, Immigration Attorney

I am an attorney whose practice is focused on both family and business immigration. I have significant experience aiding business clients with the preparation of various non-immigrant, employment visa petitions, including those in the H-1B (professionals), H-2B (temporary/seasonal workers), E-1 / E-2 (treaty traders/investors), L-1A (intracompany transferees), J (exchange visitors), and R (religious workers) categories. I also regularly advise clients on PERM processing with the Department of Labor and employment based green cards in the EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3 categories.

For my individual clients, I assist them in obtaining visas, permanent residence, and citizenship, among other things. I have experience with non-immigrant visa petitions, including those in the B-1/B-2 (business/pleasure), F-1 (student), and K (fiancée) categories, and immigrant visa petitions, including adjustments of status, VAWA petitions, and extreme hardship waivers. I have also represented individuals in removal proceedings.

I am a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and am licensed to practice law in Alabama, Mississippi, and Wisconsin.

Ready to start learning?
Take This Course