If you want to lead a healthier lifestyle and have more energy and motivation to do what you love then building exercise into your routine is the ultimate habit that will help you do it.
We all know we should exercise more but in our hyperconnected society it can be really, really hard to find the time and motivation. I can change this for you.
My mission is to show you how to build the exercise habit into your routine in a way that fits your busy lifestyle.
Exercise doesn’t have to be boring or miserable hard work and you don't need to go to an expensive gym to get fit. In this course, I will teach you how to make exercise a fun, challenging adventure that feels a lot like play.
To create the habit of exercise, I guide you through how to use "quantified self" apps on your iPhone or Android phone — self-tracking tools that allow you to set clear goals, track your progress and create accountability systems that keep you motivated. Next, I show you how to use game mechanics (the psychology behind why video games are so addictive) to "gamify" the whole experience with all kinds of exciting challenges and achievements.
There is a well-research process to forming new habits that stick. In the first part of this course, I guide through the process of building your own habit forming blueprint. Then, I teach you how to build the right exercise habit for your lifestyle: walking, running, biking, yoga, pilates and all kinds of workout routines you can do from the comfort of your home.
Save a fortune on a gym membership and a personal trainer by doing guided high intensity workouts at home using your smartphone, tablet or even by beaming the instructional workouts to your Apple TV or Google Chromecast.
Here's a quick summary of what you learn how to do in this course:
1. Reverse of the negative effects of sitting all day. Sitting is the new smoking. Learn simple exercises you can use to increase your energy at the office, eliminate your afternoon slumps and minimize the effects of sitting all day. If you regularly sit more than 6 hours a day, these simple practices will add years to your life.
2. Stay fit while traveling. When you are passing through airports, eating lots of restaurant food and staying at hotels, it is easy to fall into an unhealthy rut. I'll show you how to do high intensity workouts on the road and stay fit even when your normal routine is disrupted by travel.
3. Exercise at home without any weights or equipment. Get fit at home using high intensity interval training and you won't need to buy any expensive equipment or waste your time commuting to a gym. Plus, I'll show you the new scientific research that is showing how a 10-15 minute high intensity workout at home or outside can be better for you than hours spent at the gym.
4. Hack the process of building the exercise habit. I'll walk you through a holistic process of habit formation based on the latest psychology and cognitive science research into how we form new habits in our brains.
5. Employ the power of exercise gamification. Apply the game mechanics that make people addicted to video games and make exercise a rewarding adventure full of small wins, challenges, achievement milestones and rapid feedback on how you are improving.
6. And most importantly, you will learn how to make exercise fun! I will show you all kinds of different ways that will work for you to make walking, running, biking, working out and just being outside in general both great exercise and even greater fun!
Take the next step by joining me in this course and start enjoying all the health and productivity benefits you will gain when you start building the exercise habit.
A quick overview of how to take this course and why I'm so passionate about habit building and exercise.
Understanding the habit forming loop and how to use it create your exercise habit.
How to set clear, actionable goals using the S.M.A.R.T. goal setting formula.
Why the gamification of exercise with increasing challenges and achievement milestones increases your motivation.
Why you should choose an accountability partner to build the exercise habit with.
The habit forming community that I recommend for social accountability and tracking your daily progress.
Creating a commitment contract and using the power of negative reinforcement to form your new exercise habit.
A summary of what was covered in this section on forming the exercise habit.
Why walking more is a really effective form of exercise that is often overlooked.
How to create a walking plan to get your steps and get closer to the magic number of 10,000 steps a day.
An incredibly fun way to make walking fun and go on regular guided adventures in your area.
An easy way to track your daily activity in the background and get rewarded when you hit your daily milestones.
I highly recommend listening to podcasts when you're walking around and learning on the go.
Audiobooks are also amazing learning tools for moving and learning at the same time.
A summary of what we covered in this section on how to make walking fun.
The most difficult part of running is getting the motivation to do it in the early stages.
Create a running fitness plan and track your progress as you begin to form the running habit.
A good soundtrack is essential for running. Incredibly, you can now listen to a customized soundtrack that is synced to your steps or the beating of your heart.
A summary of what we covered in the section on how to get motivated to run.
You're halfway there. Awesome!
Use this amazing quantified self tool to track and gamify your cycling and mountain biking.
Add to your winter exercise routine some skiing or snowboarding and track your progress with this great tool.
A summary of what we covered in this section on gamifying your outdoor recreation.
Create customizable routines to work out at home with using only the equipment you have on hand. You can also add in new equipment as you progress like Kettle Bells.
The one exercise community that stands head and shoulders above all the others.
How to do a quick high intensity workout that gives you all the benefits of going to the gym in less than 15 minutes working out at home.
Learn how to do high intensity circuit training at home and get fit by spending less time working out.
Build your six pack ads for the summer with this guided program and tracking tool.
Full, guided yoga sessions that you can do at home when you can't make it to the yoga studio.
A summary of what we covered in this section on working out at home and making it fun.
Learn the two essential things you need to do each day to combat the negative effects of sitting all day at a desk job.
Why posture and ergonomics is so important to prevent eye problems, neck strain and lower back pain. Learn how to optimize your workstation for ergonomics.
The amazing health and productivity tool will allow you to kill two birds with one stone.
A summary of what we covered in this section on reducing the negative effects of sitting all day.
You made it! Congratulations. Here's my advice going forward.
I do flow state and peak performance training using flow psychology, meditative practices and quantified self-tracking tools through my company Unified Stream.
I also run a community for self-directed learning called DIY Genius. Our mission is to empower people to develop the digital media and productivity skills they need to work from anywhere they choose and create a meaningful career around their creative talents.
To stay fit and focused, I go biking each morning and I spend my free time exploring the mountains of the British Columbian coast where I live on my skis, bike or with my hiking boots.
I love to travel and I'm also really interested in documentaries, politics, philosophy, ancient civilizations, exponential technologies, media literacy and futurism.