If you want to learn and know the secrets of the harmonica from scratch, this is your course! Do it step by step and on your own time.
If you already have knowledge of the instrument, but want to perfect your technique and explore new possibilities, this course will help you do that, and do it at your own rhythm.
HARP&SOUL is a new, comprehensive course given by the recognized harmonica player, Marcos Coll musician and experienced harmonica virtuoso. Marcos has played with legendary musicians like Mick Taylor, Buddy Miles and Tom Jones. He has performed throughout the world with music greats such as Buddy Guy, Chuck Berry, John Mayall, Johnny Winter, Solomon Burke, The Fabulous Thunderbirds or The Animals, among others.
HARP&SOUL is a Masterclass created by Marcos Coll and covers a wide range of the instrument, from the beginning, the various types of existing harmonicas, the basic skills to advanced techniques such as the "overblow". You will not find a course like this!
In HARP&SOUL you will learn the most important aspects of the practice and theory of the harmonica. From the start, you'll begin, without realizing it, to play your first songs through a unique method, both entertaining and educational. Marcos will help you get a good sound, good tone, good vibrato.
You'll discover how to do bending and how to perform different tricks and learn several techniques like: the thrills, the Wha Wha and many others.
You will begin to do octaves and learn to do the train and the triads (chords). You will learn and practice the 3 main positions that the harmonica has. Also you will be introduced to music theory and to the structure of the 12 bar blues. You will perform blues exercises and begin to play famous songs of different musical styles such as: funk, rock, Latino, and of course the blues. Marcos will show you the great classic blues songs, and through their spirit you will be taught and guided to be able to interpret and incorporate them as part of your repertoire. You'll discover how to maintain, repair and tune the harmonica. You will learn techniques and the use of amplification and pedal effects to get more sounds and styles with the harmonica. The course also includes an entertaining account of the most legendary harmonica players and their most important contributions, which are part of the legend of this small but great instrument. The course concludes with many tips and recommendations from Marcos’s career as a professional musician, with over 20 years of experience, to help you enter the fascinating world of music. At the end an Extra is included with the advanced technique of Overblow.
58 video lessons with synchronized dynamic diagrams. Also, scores with animated harmonica tablature to facilitate your learning (New):
23 MP3 files for teaching support, so that you can listen and practice anywhere.
Over 3 hours of content. !!!
-The origin of the harmonica was in China, but the current model was invented in Germany.
- The constructor of the blues harmonica was based on the diatonic scale and the Richter tuning.
- The first models, the Marine Band "Classic", which are the best selling harmonicas, were designed and mass
produced in a factory in Trossingen, Germany.
- Musicians such as Bob Dylan and John Lennon played this great harmonica.
- The tone of the harmonica blues, rock ...
-The following are the various models of the diatonic harmonica:
a.- Marine Band classic
-b.- The Marine Band De Luxe, with more stylized features and a more colorful presentation.
- c.- The Marine Band Crossover, with a bamboo comb that gives a special tone and sound.
Diatonic Harmonicas : Old Harps and Special Tunings
-a.- The former Blues Harp Harmonica, especially for blues.
- b.- The classic Hohner Orchester of the 50's; Made of metal.
- Special diatonic tunings: harmonica in minor, natural minor or country tuning. Used in Eastern European music ,waltzes or country. The Marine Band harmonica "Natural Minor".
Diatonic Harmonicas : 1 Octave lower, 14 holes, Miniatures and Overblows
- a.- The Marine Band " Thunderbird" ; 10 holes, but 1 or 2 octaves lower . Its deepest sound.
- b.- The Marine Band " 365/28 " ; 14 holes. It is the one played by the legendary harmonica player Sony Boy Williamson 2; also has 1octave below .
- c.- The Marine Band " Steve Baker Special" ; also 14 holes and very similar to the " 365/28 ", ,but 1 octave lower .
- The smallest harmonicas, such as the "Piccolo"; 10 holes with the same tuning, but more treble sound. Another classic miniature and collectible is the "Puck", with a particular thumbnail design.
- Harmonicas modified to facilitate the extension of the "bendings", and that more easily allow the advanced technique of "Overblows" and "Overdraws", such as the XB - 40; 10-holes ; larger than the Marine Band "Classic" .
- There are different models of the diatonic harmonicas, made with different materials such as plastic( the "Golden Melody"), wood or aluminum ( the "Meisterklasse MS"), which also determines its different kinds of sounds.
- Tremolo harmonicas have double sound holes, and their sounds are similar to the accordion style; they also have a distinctive double sound; in addition, they are larger than the diatonic harmonicas..
- They are used primarily for folk music and "evergreen" music.
- The Harmonica Echo Harp "2x60".
- The Harmonica Echo "32". Demonstration of the characteristic sound and tone.
-The Chromatic harmonicas are larger than the diatonic ones, and feature a button that allows you to use black notes like a piano.
- The harmonica Chromonica 64 is a classical model; 16 holes and traditional button.
- Musicians like Stevie Wonder or Toots Thielemans , well-known jazz musician, used chromatic harmonicas. They are harmonicas that are used for classical music, jazz and even Latin music. Has a different and softer sound than the diatonic harmonica sound.
- New modern and flashy models like the CX-12, special for Jazz or Latin music; With 12 holes and 1 octave lower.
Conclusion and Reflexions
-There are more models for harmonic bands and orchestras with more tones, such as the great bass harmonica or harmonica long chords, like those used by the Harmonicats band.
-The 3 basic models are:
1. Chromatic harmonicas , mainly used for classical music, jazz and Latin music;
2. Tremolo harmonicas, used more to play folk music or mountain "evergreen";
3. Diatonic harmonicas, primarily used for playing blues, rock, soul, and funk, although they can provide more applications to other musical genres.
First welcome to the course and thanks for get on this train. I do a quick check of the contents we will see during the course and so you'll need to get started, which is a diatonic harmonica in (C).
1 PDF diagram on parts of diatonic harmonica.
1 PDF Tablature (Diagram)
1 PDF Diagram and Tablature
We will look for ways to hold the harmonica, and various hand techniques and sound.
Tongue Blocking and Lip Pursing
I'll show both hole harmonica techniques to get clean notes. Techniques to put your mouth over the harmonica holes. And blow and draw in each hole by these 2 ways.
1 MP3 (Example)
Oh Susana (song)
Start having fun and learning your first song.
1 PDF (Score and Tablature)
1 MP3 (the song).
Boogie Woogie (song)
This simple melody of rock and roll's learn without much effort.
1 PDF (Score and Tablature)
1 MP3 (The song)
This chapter for basic sound of the harmonica so characteristic of the blues. You will learn to have a good harmonica sound.
1 MP3 (Demostration)
This is one of the basic techniques for playing scales in various shades and harder to learn. I'll explain in a simple way with animated diagrams.
Introduction: How Bending arises
Bending with “Tongue Blocking” and "Lip Pursing"
My technique and personal experience for the Bending
Diagrams animated step by step technique Bending in holes 4, 6 and 8 blow. And holes 2 and 3 draw.
Includes: 2 MP3
MP3 BENDING-4-6-8 (Demonstration)
MP3 BENDING.2-3 (Demonstration)
Conclusions and advice
Also widely used technique with which to octave your notes.
With Tongue Blocking technique.
2 PDF : OCTAVES (Diagram), TABLATURE AND DIAGRAM (Music Theory)
1 MP3 : OCTAVES in C, D, and G
1 MP3 : Octave-2
Marcos Coll was born in Madrid in 1976, but soon moved to Santiago DC. He started playing the harmonica at the age of 13, influenced by his musician uncle and by the legendary Spanish harp player legend, Ñaco Goñi... After playing with different amateur bands, like Red Bues Band, he formed his first pro band called Bluerags. In 1999 he moved back to Madrid to join the most famous Spanish blues band at that time ,“Tonky Blues Band”. With this band, at the age of 21, he had the opportunity of touring and recording with rock and blues legends like Mick Taylor (Rolling stones ) or Buddy Miles (Jimmy Hendrix Band of Gipsys) and even did a blues gig with Tom Jones !!!! After those years of great experiences, along with his soul brother Adrian Costa, he was ready to form his own band, 'Los Reyes del Ko', which soon became one of the top blues references in Spain and Europe, earning several awards and recognition, and even appearing in the High School music books in Galicia. They have shared venues all over the world with all time greats as Buddy Guy, Chuck Berry, John Mayall, Johnny Winter, Solomon Burke, the Animals or the Fabulous Thunderbirds.
As a studio musician he has recorded with famous Spanish bands like Siniestro Total, etc. as well as music for TV or silent movies. Without being a prolific composer, some of his songs are part of tv series or movies, like the blockbuster movie in Mexico, "Suave Patria".He also has worked as a harmonica teacher in music schools in Spain, and these days does workshops and masterclasses all over the world in Spanish, English or German.
As a endorser of the famous instrument brand ” Hohner”, he conducted a masterclass and was part of the jury in the most prestigious harmonica festival, the World Harmonica Festival 2009 and 2013 in Trossingen.
Nowadays, besides playing as Marcos Coll Blues Jarana, with Rico McClarrin, Chris Rannemberg or Guitar Crusher, his main project is his new Mexican latino music band Los Mighty Calacas , who arepresenting their debut c.d. that includes guest musicans like Charlie Musselwhite etc., doing a tour all over the world.
Besides its discography with Los Reyes del Ko, Los Mighty Calacas and also colaborations, his double cd album Marcos Coll ,"Under the wings" ,should be highlighted. It is a mixture of old classic blues with more modern funk, latin or hip hop, where he reviews a 20 year career and includes recordings with legends like Buddy Miles, Mick Taylor, Aron Burton, etc....
These days, besides working with Los Mighty Calacas, he is presenting his album in Europe, America and Africa.....
Marcos Coll nace en Madrid en el 1976, trasladándose a Santiago D.C en la infancia. Con 13 años empieza a tocar la armónica gracias a su tío también músico e influenciado por el legendario armonicista español Ñaco Goñi .... Después de formar varias bandas amateurs como Red Blues Band en el 95 forma su primera banda profesional llamada Blue Rags. En 1999 regresa a Madrid para pasar a formar parte de la banda de blues más antigua y conocida del país, la Tonky Blues Band. Con esta banda a los 21 años tuvo la oportunidad de girar y grabar con leyendas del blues y el rock como Mick Taylor (guitarrista de Rolling Stones) o Buddy Miles (baterista de Jimmy Hendrix Band of Gipsys) e incluso hizo un concierto de blues con Tom Jones !!! Después de todas esas experiencias y aprendizaje, junto con Adrian Costa decide formar Los Reyes del KO, que pronto se convirtió en una de las grandes referencias del blues en España y en Europa, ganando todo tipo de premios y reconocimientos y llegando incluso a aparecer en los libros de música de educación secundaria de Galicia. Con dicha banda comparten escenario por todo el mundo con grandes de la música como Buddy Guy, Chuck Berry, John Mayall, Johnny Winter, Solomon Burke, The Animals o los Fabulous Thunderbirds.
Como músico de sesión a grabado con multitud de artistas como Siniestro Total, etc. así como también música para televisión o cine mudo. Sin ser un extenso compositor, algunas de sus canciones se pueden escuchar en programas de televisión y radio o en películas como el gran éxito en taquilla en México "Suave Patria". También ha trabajado en España como profesor en diferentes escuelas de música, así como haciendo master classes y workshops por todo el mundo, en español, inglés o alemán.
Como endorser e imagen publicitaria de la conocida marca de instrumentos Hohner a actuado, impartido masterclass y ha sido parte del jurado en el más prestigioso festival de armónica del mundo el World Harmonica Festival 2009 y 2013 en Trossingen.
Hoy en día a parte de tocar como Marcos Coll Blues Jarana, con Rico MClarrin, Chris Rannenberg, o Guitar Crusher, su proyecto principal es la banda de música latina Los Mighty Calacas, con los que actualmente gira por todo el mundo presentando su álbum de debut con artistas invitados como Charlie Musselwhite etc.
Aparte de su discografia con los Reyes del Ko, Los Mighty Calacas y muchas colaboraciones, cabe destacar su álbum doble Marcos Coll "Under the wings"un álbum totalmente ecléctico donde se juntan el blues más arcaico con el funk, la música latina o el hip hop y donde repasa una trayectoria de 20 años y que incluye colaboraciones de músicos con los que trabajó en ese tiempo como Buddy Miles, Mick Taylor, Aron Burton y un largo etc......
Actualmente a parte de trabajar con los Mighty Calacas, presenta también ese disco por países de Europa, América o Africa........