Graphic Design Bootcamp: Part 1
- 15.5 hours on-demand video
- 10 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- A clear understanding of how to work with BOTH print and web projects in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
The skills and confidence to create things like flyers, business cards, web graphics, and more.
How to build a skill set that can set you up to be employable in the creative industry as a graphic designer.
- Have access to the Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I will be using a Mac, but you can just as easily follow along with a Windows machine since the principles will be the same and the apps work on either platform.
- Be proficient with using a computer, although prior knowledge of any of the Adobe apps is not necessary. However, this is not an “A to Z” course for every bell and whistle that each app provides, but rather a roadmap for how to make awesome projects that people are willing to pay for or that employers are looking for you to have skills with creating.
- Some creative skills (drawing, photography, etc.) are helpful and will definitely give you a better chance at becoming successful as a designer, but not required.
- A desire to learn design, whether for a job or for a hobby - design is for everyone!
This course is for anyone who is interested in becoming a graphic designer, and especially geared towards total beginners. I'll show you how to make some of the most popular projects in the industry, like:
What to Expect:
We will be using Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator; the industry-standard applications for graphic design. I'll also review relevant terms and design practices to help you create pixel-perfect projects for print and web, with the goal to get you up and running as soon as possible so you can start your new and exciting career as a graphic designer.
If you aren't looking to learn design for a job, don;t worry - this is a great course for you too! Many of my students are moms looking to make fun cards or invitations, or students looking to spice up their resumes and social media graphics, and teachers looking to add some creative elements to their homework materials - the list goes on and on. Design is for everyone! And this course is, too!
There is also a private Facebook group with over 5600 students and counting, which is an awesome resource for you to take advantage of while you go through the course. The group is an excellent place to post projects, get insightful critiques, and network with other like-minded students and working professionals all over the world.
All project files are included as a free download at the beginning of each section, and you are welcome to use the files however you want, or simply to follow along with the projects as you move through the lessons.
I cover a lot of program shortcuts in this course as well!
For the most part, all of the principles you will learn in this course transcend the tools you actually use - There are students using Adobe versions from CS3 up to CC 2018, and there are even students using apps like Sketch and Pixelmator to make some of the projects in this course.
If you see anything in any of the lectures that no longer apply with the software update, please let me know! I’m doing my best to keep this course up to date and continue to add value for you.
Instructor Qualifications and Background:
Derrick has spent his entire career in the creative arts and marketing sector. Starting back as early as high school where he turned homework into paying gigs, his love for all things art and technology driven has continued to grow. Working with brands such as MTV, Nintendo, and Netflix while employed as an intern for Seven 2 Interactive catapulted his career. His branding work and graphic design has been included in international publications for the design industry and regularly featured on trending websites.
Derrick is the owner of a small design agency, Mitchell's Garage | Creative Media Chop Shop, located in the heart of downtown Kalispell, Montana. Mitchell's Garage has been successful in reaching and working with clients all over the world, including Washington D.C., New York, California, Calgary, Austria, Australia, Washington, Colorado, and of course, throughout Montana. He is also the Creative Director for a defense company based out of Montana - a job that lets him stretch his creative muscles and make some epic things each and every day.
- Employees or Employers that need to gain skills in graphic design so you can produce graphics and print materials for your company.
- Beginners that want to start a career as a graphic designer.
- Entrepreneurs that plan to start their own business or become a freelancer.
- Anyone that wants to learn how to take their creative ideas and put them into a print or digital format.
In this video I mention custom brushes. Here's a link to download the grunge brush I use in this lesson, or you can simply download the attachment on this video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jywopuz7v3mf3ye/BB_HighRes_Grunge_Textures.abr?dl=0
Here's a quick overview of how to install the brushes, but you have to be logged in to see it: https://www.udemy.com/graphic-design-for-beginners/learn/v4/questions/1494854?num_replies=0
In this section, we will learn how to use Illustrator while creating a typography poster using the quote, "A SMOOTH SEA NEVER MADE A SKILLFUL SAILOR." Feel free to follow along using the assets provided in the .zip file that is attached.
In the zipped folder you will find:
- The Quote as a .txt file
- Fonts used in the project
- A photo of the sea to use as a background
- A vector anchor graphic purchased from Adobe Stock
- The project file, with both editable and outlined text versions