Flash Photography for Beginners
- 1 hour on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
- confidently use a flash both on and off camera
- understand the basics of flash lighting
- impress friends and family with great photos
- You only need to have a DSLR camera to start this course. All the lighting kit I mention is linked to from the course so you can grab a bargain then carry on the training.
This course is perfect for a DigitalSLR photographer wanting to master the basics of flash photography.
You'll find I teach in a clear, simple way with hopefully no jargon so you really don't need any experience with lights or even own one, I have all the links to the equipment you need over on my website (link below) and it won't cost you more than £100 for the whole off-camera setup.
Do you need to be a competent photographer?
No not really. I will be showing you how to use your light in a manual mode so as long as you know on YOUR camera how to turn it to 'M' and adjust the aperture and shutter speed setting you'll be fine. In fact if you are stuck I'll help you with that too.
What are the requirements?
None… well, except an SLR camera!
Who is this course for?
All my training is aimed at amateur photographers rather than professionals. If you're frustrated that you can't :
- take photos in the evenings
- take photos indoors
- take photos at parties
- then this is for you.
Who is this course NOT for?
This isn't a course for professionals or experienced lighting users hoping to better their skills. All you are going to find here is the settings you need for basic but well, evenly lit photographs when your camera can't cope.
What am I going to get from this course?
6 videos (50 mins) of quality training. Nothing ground breaking but exactly what you need to get you started using your flash both on and off your camera.
Assuming this training is well received I plan to do a more advanced course later in the year and that will be the course where we go outside, use multiple lights etc.
I hope that's enough to convince you and I look forward to seeing you in the training course!
- This flash photography course is for Digital SLR camera users. No experience is required as I explain all the manual settings you need for both your camera and the lights.
- The course does not cover TTL automatic modes, purely manual which you'll discover is simple and liberating!
- This course is not an advanced technique course, simply a how-to basic guide to get you going and consistently shoot great indoor photos with a flash.
Why do you need additional lighting and when should you use it?
This is the topic of my introductory video. In most scenarios you won't need any additional lighting, if you're shooting outdoors or in good daylight for example, but that about when it's dark and your camera can't cope, that's when you need to add in some lighting.
In this short video I'll explain the equipment you need to purchase if you haven't already in order to start shooting with off-camera flash lighting.
It's all very affordable, I deliberately aim all my training at amateurs and as such look for the most affordable options.
See the external link for a detailed list of all the equipment.
Here we'll go through all the settings and techniques you'll need to understand before we actually take a photo in the following video.
After a quick intro I take you into my lounge and have a go at taking photos with the flash on top of my camera. You'll see just how easy this is to get great, consistent results.
As in video 4 we'll head to my lounge again and give this a go.
Finally we'll wrap this up and let you ask any questions you may have.