Everyday Dining Etiquette
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 1 article
- 1 downloadable resource
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Know what not to do at the dining table
Choose the correct eating utensil and use it properly
Know the differences between American and Continental (European) dining styles
- Show confidence as a host, guest or the guest of honor
- Read a place setting to determine what comes next and what to expect
- Spot the differences of formal seating for social dining vs. formal seating for business dining
- Navigate the meal - 1 course to 7 course
- How to eat a variety of tricky foods
- Identify world class table manners
- Order wine
- Take the dining etiquette component of the IITTI Level 1 business etiquette exam
- Interest in improving table manners
- Desire to learn skills that can be used everyday in business and in life
- Aspiration to stand out as a professional
- Interest in enhancing dining etiquette skills
- Willingness to practice and implement new etiquettes to improve personal image
- Willingness to practice new skills to improve professionalism
- Aspiration to stand out when dining socially
Have you ever been unsure about which bread plate is yours? Where to place your napkin when leaving the table? What the utensils at the top of your place setting are for?
How you conduct yourself at the dining table can influence others’ perceptions of you, impacting your business and social relationships. Everyday Dining Etiquette teaches you dining skills to help you appear more confident and feel more at ease when dining casually or formally, for business or for pleasure.
Master these dining skills – feel more confident and make a great impression today!
- Discover easy tricks to navigate a crowded table
- Compare nuances of American vs. European dining styles
- Identify what not to do at the dining table
- Impress your guests as a gracious host
- Distinguish yourself as the perfect guest
- Handle dining disasters with grace
‘Everyday Dining Etiquette’ teaches you dining skills you can use every day.
Although the term dining generally refers to the act of eating, we have come to utilise dining as a means to socialise and conduct business. Table manners have a long history, and were established as a way of keeping the peace and domesticating our behaviour. These rituals were handed down from generation to generation, eventually becoming tradition.
Today, with our hectic lifestyles, many of us multitask and eat on the run. Although many dining traditions may not seem crucial while eating in front of the TV or computer, our table conduct is still considered important during social, business and formal occasions. Unfortunately, when we’re unsure how to skillfully navigate a meal, the dining experience can become an awkward encounter.
How you eat and how you behave while dining can leave a lasting impression of you in the minds of those seated with you at the dining table, and those dining around you. Through studying this course and practicing the skills, the everyday dining experience can be an enjoyable one.
Content and Overview
'Everyday Dining Etiquette' is designed for personal and professional development based on corporate seminars Kimberly Law has been presenting since 1999.
This course is designed to be easily understood by beginners, and offer a great refresher for those who need one. It includes both American and European dining styles.
Through lectures, the 40 page supplementary study guide, ‘Formal Dining for Informal People’ and resources, this course provides easy-to-learn skills and strategies to make a great impression every day. Each section offers a short quiz to evaluate your learning progress.
This course, along with self-study of the complementary study guide, ‘Formal Dining for Informal People’ and supplemental materials will set participants on the IITTI track. This course prepares students to write the Dining Etiquette component of the IITTI Level 1 Business Etiquette Certification exam through the Institute of Image Training and Testing International, and expands on these guidelines with additional protocol for elaborate gatherings and formal entertaining. IITTI is an international non-profit organization, that advocates global business etiquette standardization.
Here is what people are saying about Kimberly's presentations:
“For several years as Executive Director of SFU’s Management of Technology MBA program I engaged Kimberly Law to provide workshops on Dining Etiquette, wardrobe planning, and appropriate dress for business to each cohort of MBA students. I found that Kimberly was professional in her demeanor and poised in her presentation… In short, I am happy to recommend her services to others.” ~ T. Brown
“Kimberly gave very practical advice and examples for business meals and other meals." ~ C. Tam
“Kimberly's dining etiquette program is suitable for all professionals or anyone who feels they need a refresher on how to have the perfect table manners for business meals or any other meals.” ~ E. Bail
“I enjoyed the topic about table settings and table manners, since most of the time we don’t know these little details that make a great different in business dining. I will use this for job interviews, business meetings and dining in general.” ~ K. Labastida
- Men, Women, Teens
- Job seekers
- New immigrants to North America or other Western Cultures
- Professionals who want a refresher on 'dining etiquette'
- Those who want to make a great impression when dining with others
- Students and graduates entering the workforce
- Those preparing for the IITTI Level 1 business etiquette exam
- Those working for multi-national companies
- Men and women who want to feel more confident as a host or guest
- Restaurant diners
- Men and women entering the dating scene
Believe it or not... knowing what to do with your napkin is a big topic!
Eating salad differs based on the type of salad and the chosen dining style.