Learn English: Methods To Improve Your English Fluency
- 2 hours on-demand video
- 9 articles
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- You will discover a very effective method for memorizing English vocabulary in a REAL way, so that you grow your vocabulary, building thousands and thousands of words that are easily remembered.
You will learn about some strategies for improving your English reading fluency, which when used with the MEMORIZING VOCABULARY technique, will result in you building your English vocabulary to a much larger amount of words.
I will also talk about some great sources of reading content for consuming English vocabulary.
- You will learn about some strategies for improving your English listening fluency, and how the MEMORIZING VOCABULARY and IMAGINATION techniques can work for listening as well.
- I'll also share some resources/websites etc where you can find great English listening content, whether you are beginner, intermediate or advanced in English.
- You will learn how proper MEMORIZING, READING & LISTENING strategies can result in high quality SPEAKING FLUENCY
- I'll talk about finding good situations to practice speaking English, and websites for finding great English teachers to practice speaking with.
- I'll share a method which I use in classes to boost my students' English speaking fluency by turning "passive" English vocabulary into "active" English vocabulary, and a method which you can use at home (for free) which can improve your English speaking fluency by yourself.
- And lastly, I'll talk about MOVING TO AN ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRY, as well as a brief mention about how these methods can be used to improve your English writing skills as well.
- You should have a passion for learning English, or at least some strong goals for achieving English fluency
- If you want to improve your spoken English and speak more like an English native, you need to be willing to first work on memorizing English vocabulary well, and using correct English reading and listening strategies
- This is an English course that is really about 'how you should learn English'. It starts at the deeper level of strategies, methods etc. So you need be ok with that. It's more about the "big picture" of English learning (habits, daily methods etc) and less about the small details of grammar, English pronunciation etc. I will cover those small details in future English courses
This English learning course has four main parts. Using correct memorizing, reading and listening methods will result in a higher level of English speaking fluency, so we will look at these different skills in detail, one by one:
1) Memorizing English Vocabulary Effectively
The first part focuses on memorizing English vocabulary in a real way. A lot of students have a habit of translating between English and their first language too much when they read or listen to English vocabulary. I believe that this results in vocabulary that is very easy to forget. The connection is very weak when only using translation to understand meaning. So when these students try and speak in English, the words don't come out very quickly, and the student needs to search hard for the vocabulary. In this section I talk about methods which you can use to create really deep, strong, natural connections and meanings for English vocabulary, without relying on translating so much, which makes remembering the English vocabulary when speaking much, much easier. This is English vocabulary which is harder to forget, just like the vocabulary of your first language.
2) English Reading Fluency Strategies
The second section focuses on English reading strategies. For building English vocabulary, some students like to create flash cards, or study English vocabulary lists, or just rely on reading grammar books or English course books. In this section I will explain how using some different reading strategies and different types of English content can help you to build your vocabulary in a much more effective and natural way. The memorizing vocabulary technique should be used with these English reading strategies together for the best results. I also talk about some ideas and resources that you can use to find the best English reading material, depending on your level of reading fluency in English. Gaining a high level of reading fluency is hugely important before moving onto English listening and speaking fluency, because it's the easiest and most logical to achieve first.
3) English Listening Fluency Strategies
Just like reading, developing English listening fluency is hugely important for building a large English vocabulary, but it can be done the wrong way (mentally translating everything when listening) or it can be done the right way (the natural way of listening). I talk about how to you can improve your English listening fluency by using certain learning methods, and I talk about some resources/websites etc where you can find great English listening content. English listening content that you will naturally be interested in. That is listening content for beginners, but also listening content for intermediate and advanced English learners as well. Listening fluency is one of those skills that can really effect your English speaking fluency because listening skills are so important for social situations in English and understanding what is going on in the conversation before you want to speak. But these listening skills can be improved by yourself at home as well.
4) English Speaking Fluency Strategies
And to finish off the course, I'll talk about English speaking fluency methods. Speaking, especially in groups where everyone is trying to speak at the same time, where you need a high level of English listening fluency so that you can understand everything, is the hardest English skill to master, as it also produces the most amount of nerves for students. In this section I talk about finding good situations to practice speaking English, and some websites for finding great English teachers to practice speaking with. I'll also talk about a method which I use in my online English Skype lessons to boost my students' English speaking fluency by turning their "passive" English vocabulary into "active" English vocabulary using a very specific method which surprisingly isn't used by a lot of English teachers. I'll also describe an English speaking exercise which you can use at home by yourself, without paying for an English teacher, which can improve your English speaking skills. You won't have an English teacher to correct your mistakes, but it's free to use! And lastly I'll talk a little about how this method can be used to improve your English writing skills as well, and then I'll discuss the idea of moving to an English speaking country, and some of the bad habits that you should avoid, and some good English learning habits that you should try to develop.
If you have any questions about English fluency or improving your English memorizing, reading, listening or speaking skills, please feel free to send me a message and we can have a chat about which ever English learning topic you would like to talk about.
Enjoy the course and I hope your English fluency improves!
- Students with an English level somewhere between lower intermediate to advanced
- Students who would like to improve their English fluency using natural methods that work
- English students who are at the beginner level should find experienced English language teachers in their first language who can explain the methods needed to improve their English fluency. When you reach a higher level in English (e.g lower intermediate) this course will make more sense and you can understand the methods
In this lecture I talk about how visualization can help you to build your vocabulary in a natural, productive way
In this lecture I talk about reading strategies, extensive reading and methods for consuming as much interesting vocabulary and content as possible