A COMPLETE HISTORY OF IRISH BROADCASTING FROM THE WORLDS FIRST PIRATE RADIO STATION DURING THE EASTER RISING 1916 TO TODAYS INTERNET AND DIGITAL BROADCASTERS. THE COURSE FEATURES THE DECADES FROM 1910 AND THE MARCONI EXPERIMENTS TO THE PRESENT DAY AND FEATURES THE GOLDEN ERA OF BROADCASTING, THE 1980'S.
Irish Broadcasting History from the 1920's after the foundation of the new Irish Free State. The nation was engulfed in a Civil War and when the dust had settled debate turned to the creation of a radio station for the new nation.
Each decade in the history of Irish Broadcasting is covered by seperate lecture with both Powerpoint presentations and accompanied articles.
This is an excerpt from the Irish Broadcasting History course that looks at the 1950s in Ireland.
An excerpt from Lecture 4 of the Irish Broadcasting History course. The course covers the history of broadcasting from Marconi's experiments in the early 1900s to the present day and digital age. Covered throughout the course are the legal and illegal radio and television channels that have created histories of their own. The lectures are as follows
1. OVERVIEW OF THE COURSE
2. 1900 - 1920 INCLUDING THE WORLD'S FIRST PIRATE RADIO STATION IN 1916
3. 1920'S - THE LAUNCH OF LEGAL RADIO IN
4 1930'S - 2RN EXPANDS AND THE FIRST CONVICTION OF A PIRATE BROADCASTER
5 1940'S - THE WORLD AT WAR, THE CHURCHILL/DeVALERA BROADCASTS AND IRA PIRATE RADIO STATIONS AND A BROADCASTER DIES ON HUNGER STRIKE
6. 1950'S - FIRST TELEVISION BROADCASTS FROM
7. 1960'S - RADIO CAROLINE IS LAUNCHED. RTE TELEVISION FIRST BROADCASTS 1961 AND THE FIRST OF A NEW WAVE OF PIRATES
8. 1970'S - PIRATES GO PROFESSIONAL, RTE FIGHTS BACK. BALLYFERMOT TV EXPERIMENT. THE EXPLOSION OF CABLE TV
9. 1980'S PART ONE - THE GOLDEN AGE OF IRISH RADIO. THE ARRIVAL OF THE SUPER PIRATES, PIRATE TELEVISION, GOVERNMENT RAIDS, DEFELCTOR SCHEMES.
10. 1980'S PART TWO - THE GOLDEN AGE OF IRISH RADIO. THE DISECTION OF A MONOPOLY, NEW LEGISLATION. THE FIRST NATIONAL COMMERCIAL STATION AND POLITICAL BRIBERY. ATLANTIC 252
11. 1990'S - THE NEW COMMERCIAL LANDSCAPE, COMMERCIAL TELEVISION. THE NEW WAVE OF PIRATE RADIO
12. 2000'S - THE DIGITAL AGE ARRIVES
13. PRESENT DAY
THIS COURSE WILL BE LAUNCHING IN NOVEMBER 2011. SIGN UP NOW
A REVIEW OF ALL THE TELEVISION STATIONS THAT ARE OR HAVE BEEN BROADCASTING IN IRELAND
A look at the changes of how Ireland watched TV over the past 50 years.
This is my documentary made for TV filmed on location at the site of the World's First Pirate Radio Station in O'Connell Street during the 1916 Easter Rising. Coutesy of storymap.ie
Watch out for a new book in 2012 with a detailed history of this radio station.
World War 2 broadcasts
The first scheduled day of broadcasting from Telefis Eireann (later RTE) on January 1st 1962.
I have been involved in the hospitality industry for over thirty years starting in 1979 as an apprentice bartender. Since then I have progressed into senior management and owed and operated my own bar. I have a wealth of experience and knowledge and when employing staff know the knowledge that they should have that I need. I am currently the General Manager of a major Dublin gastropub.