Dealing with Conflict at Work: Real World Strategies & Tools
- 1.5 hours on-demand video
- 13 articles
- 4 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Recognize the signs of conflict early, so you have a chance to stop it
Reduce the incidence of conflict, by listening well
Understand how conflict escalates, so you can stay calm and stop the escalation
- De-escalate conflict, so you bring your relationship back to normal
- Resolve conflict, using a variety of strategies and tactics
- Develop your resistance to being drawn into conflict
- No pre-requisites. If you're in the world of work, or soon to enter it, you're ready for this course.
Conflict is an inevitable part of working life. And it's not always bad.
But, often, it is. It can be stressful, harm productivity, spoil working relationships, and lead to damaging behaviors.
And, if you have any level of responsibility as a team leader, supervisor, or manager, fixing it may well be down to you.
So you need the tools to deal with conflict at work.
And this course will give you them.
More than that, you'll learn how and why conflict arises, and how to minimize it before it takes hold.
Here are the main topics you'll cover:
- The sources of conflict
- How to listen
- The effect of personalities on conflict
- The ways people resist imposed ideas
- The signs and stages of conflict escalation
- The steps for de-escalating conflict
- Strategies for resolving conflict
- Five ways to handle conflict
- How to recover a broken (workplace) relationship
Ongoing Project: Your Conflict Log
During the course, your project will be to keep and share aspects of your Conflict Log. You will create a record of your observations, successes, and struggles. Other students and your tutor will support you, endorse your successes, and help you with your questions.
The only prior experience you need is daily life. If you’ve been a hermit or in long-term peaceful coexistence with all your fellow human beings, you won’t need this course.
However, the people who may find this most valuable are those who experience conflict in the workplace, and especially those in supervisory or management roles.
Your tutor is Dr. Mike Clayton. As a senior manager at international consulting firm, Deloitte, Mike had to deal with conflict among staff, and with clients, and even among clients. But more important, as a senior representative of his firm and a program leader, he needed to avoid escalation of conflict.
Now, as a trainer and facilitator, he has been applying what he learned and teaching it to others. This course represents 15 years' experience of what tools students find most helpful, and 25 years experience in business, managing conflicts large and small.
We have you covered
However, it's not all been plain sailing. Three times in 25 years, Mike has had to use his own 'Breakdown Routine' to the breakdown of a professional relationship. Three times it worked. And managers and leaders he has coached have used it with equal success.
So, you see, we have you covered. This course will give you the tools to:
- Prevent conflict
- Reduce and reverse its escalation
- Handle full blown conflict
- and... recover from the effects of a conflict-induced relationship breakdown.
Your Unconditional, No-questions, 30-Day Guarantee
The best way to assess how valid this material is in you culture is to try it out. I am so confident that this course will change your life that I offer you an unconditional, no questions asked, full 30 day money-back-in-full guarantee. If you don't think this will give you the tools to do more with your time, then just ask for your money back.
And What if you have questions?
I will be on hand to answer your questions if you get stuck, puzzled, or just want to know more. As a professional trainer, this is what I do, and I promise to respond within 24 hours of your question arriving with me from Udemy.
Enroll for this course now, so you can start to regain control of your life straight away.
- Managers and supervisors at all levels
Welcome to the course:
- Your course tutor, Dr Mike Clayton
- What you will be able to do at the end of your course
- The main topics you'll learn
- Practicing your skills: Your Conflict Log
Before we get started, we need to define our terms.
What are conflict and conflict management?
This is your Conflict Log.
We recommend you download it and either:
- Print it out
- Work from your preferred PDF reader
At various points in the course, we will set you exercises (there are ten in total). This log will give you all the details of what to do, along with space to record your work and learning.
We will look at the rational and irrational reasons why conflict occurs.
One of the principle keys to conflict is respect.
It will help you understand:
- why conflict starts
- why it perpetuates
- how to avoid it
- how to de-escalate it
Do exercise 4 in your Conflict Log.
It asks you to consider seven short scenarios, and then:
- Assess whether they represent aggressive, passive, or assertive behavior
- Provide a better response if you think one is needed
Only when you have completed it...
You can download suggested solutions from here.