Writing, Publishing, Marketing and Selling Your First Book
What you'll learn
- Build a process to help you start and actually finish writing your first book.
- Understand the opportunities available to you via traditional publishers and self-publishing platforms.
- Have the confidence to promote and sell your book.
- Earn money as a published author.
- Basic computer and Internet skills
This online course is designed to help aspiring writers realize their potential and guide them through the process of writing, publishing, marketing and selling their first book. It will look at the writing process, examine publishing and distribution options and highlight potential opportunities and pitfalls.
Topics Covered Include:
What’s The Big Idea?
- Have you got a book inside of you?
- Inspiration and where to find it
- Fail to Plan, plan to fail
The Writing Process
- The writing process (think job, not hobby)
- Setting targets and hitting deadlines
- The editorial process
- Common pitfalls/roadblocks
Pitching to a Publisher/Agent
- The benefits of working with a traditional publisher
- When and how to pitch
- What you should expect from a publisher
- When to walk away
Going it Alone
- Disadvantages of working with a traditional publisher
- Digital disruption (you’ve never had it so good)
- Indie not amateur
- Self-publishing vs Vanity publishing
- Getting help (freelance editorial and design support)
- Self-Publishing platforms/distribution networks
- Hardback, Paperback, eBook (epub, mobi), audiobooks
Embracing Your Inner-Self Publicist (Selling Your Work)
- Public Relations
- Public Speaking
- Social Media
- Email Marketing
- Setting expectations
- Alternative streams of revenue
Building a Back Catalogue
- Rinse, repeat
- eBook Singles
- Writing a series
- Free vs paid distribution
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to write, publish and, more importantly, sell their first book.
- Authors who have struggled to promote their work following publication.
John W. Hayes has been helping small and medium-sized companies develop their business strategies online for almost as long as the Internet has been in the general public's consciousness.
Working alongside some of the biggest names in eCommerce and online marketing (including Amazon, eBay and Google), he has dedicated much of his career to demystifying the web and highlighting opportunities for real world businesses to grow.
John is the author of four books, is a regular speaker at events throughout the UK, Europe and the US, is a prolific blogger across numerous sites and is widely recognized as an influential Thought Leader in the SME online marketing arena.