Writing, Publishing, Marketing and Selling Your First Book
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 1 downloadable resource
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Build a process to help you start and actually finish writing your first book.
- Understand the opportunities available to you via traditional publishers and self-publishing platforms.
- Have the confidence to promote and sell your book.
- Earn money as a published author.
- Basic computer and Internet skills
This online course is designed to help aspiring writers realize their potential and guide them through the process of writing, publishing, marketing and selling their first book. It will look at the writing process, examine publishing and distribution options and highlight potential opportunities and pitfalls.
Topics Covered Include:
What’s The Big Idea?
- Have you got a book inside of you?
- Inspiration and where to find it
- Fail to Plan, plan to fail
The Writing Process
- The writing process (think job, not hobby)
- Setting targets and hitting deadlines
- The editorial process
- Common pitfalls/roadblocks
Pitching to a Publisher/Agent
- The benefits of working with a traditional publisher
- When and how to pitch
- What you should expect from a publisher
- When to walk away
Going it Alone
- Disadvantages of working with a traditional publisher
- Digital disruption (you’ve never had it so good)
- Indie not amateur
- Self-publishing vs Vanity publishing
- Getting help (freelance editorial and design support)
- Self-Publishing platforms/distribution networks
- Hardback, Paperback, eBook (epub, mobi), audiobooks
Embracing Your Inner-Self Publicist (Selling Your Work)
- Public Relations
- Public Speaking
- Social Media
- Email Marketing
- Setting expectations
- Alternative streams of revenue
Building a Back Catalogue
- Rinse, repeat
- eBook Singles
- Writing a series
- Free vs paid distribution
- Anyone who wants to write, publish and, more importantly, sell their first book.
- Authors who have struggled to promote their work following publication.
Introducing my Writing, Publishing, Marketing and Selling Your First Book Udemy Course
The process I use to write my books, along with potential (avoidable) roadblocks which may stand in your way and prevent your from becoming a published author.
Not everything in the publishing industry is great. Here are seven things I have learned to hate.
Mobile footage filmed after meeting a group of writers at a seminar in Gibraltar, exploring the various self-imposed roadblocks which prevent writers from publishing.