Writing Non-Fiction: The Essential Guide
- 2 hours on-demand video
- 9 articles
- 25 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand the essential elements of writing non-fiction articles
- Know how to find topics to write about
- Identify writing markets to which you can sell your work
- Plan, research and write articles that will suit those markets
- Confidently submit your work to an editor
- Whilst no formal qualifications or previous knowledge are required to complete this course, you must have enthusiasm for writing and be willing to share your knowledge and experience with others through the written word.
- You must be able to use word processing software in order to prepare your manuscript for submission to an editor.
Fancy earning a second income as a freelance writer? This course shows you how to create topical non-fiction articles and fillers that you can sell to magazine editors and other markets.
During the lessons you'll learn how to find ideas for your articles, and use your knowledge and experience to tap into a wide variety of magazine markets. The course guides you through the process of planning, researching and writing an article, and explains the importance of editing and proofreading. It teaches you exactly how to submit your work to an editor, and includes examples of how to lay out your typescript, create a cover sheet and write a query letter - in fact, everything you need to start your career as a freelance writer!
The course will teach you the essential elements of writing non-fiction and help you identify writing opportunities and markets in which you can sell your work.
Sign up for this course now to get your freelance career started. Go on to sell just ONE article, and the course will more than pay for itself!
And don't forget that the course is backed by Udemy's 30 day money-back guarantee. So, if you're not completely satisfied, you can ask for a full, no-questions-asked refund. You've got absolutely nothing to lose by enrolling on the course TODAY.
During the course we'll look at:
- finding ideas
- finding markets for your work
- pitching a topic to multiple markets
- commissioned articles, unsolicited manuscripts and query letters
- types of non-fiction
- planning and researching your article
- making a start and moving it on
- creating sidebars
- the importance of photography and images
- editing your work
- proofreading tips
- how to submit your work to an editor
- how to develop a writing routine.
The course includes 17 videos and numerous downloadable writing exercises and handouts, plus a list of some of the current non-fiction markets.
I hope to welcome you as a student. Please get in touch if you have any questions about the course.
- The course is aimed at new writers, or those who are looking to refresh their knowledge..
This lesson looks at some of the ways you can start to generate ideas for your articles. It links to the next lesson, which is a writing exercise to help you focus on your own experience and knowledge and how you might turn this into saleable articles.
This exercise accompanies Lecture 3 - Finding Ideas - and will get you thinking about the experiences you could draw on to create non-fiction articles and fillers. You may want to download the PDF version and complete the exercise offline at a time that best suits you.
By adapting your ideas and topics so that they meet the needs of specific and very different markets, you can maximise your chances of selling your articles and increase your writing income. This video looks at the example of how a keen gardener could use the subject of 'gardening' to write numerous articles for very different magazines and readers.
This lesson explains what sidebars are, why they are used and how you can create them.
Thank you so much for joining me on this course. I hope you’ve found it useful. Please feel free to get in touch at any time if you have any questions about your writing projects.
If you’ve enjoyed learning with me and would like to sign up for another of my courses, you can use the code STUDENTSPECIAL to get them for $12 (or use the links below):
Write Stories With a Twist for $12
Writing Short Stories: The Essential Guide for $12
MONTHLY CONTEST TO WIN A WRITING CRITIQUE
If you have completed 85% or more of the lessons in this course, you will automatically be entered into my monthly prize draw to win a writing critique (see the video in this Bonus Section for more details).
KEEP IN TOUCH
Finally, if you’d like to keep in touch, visit my blog at www.writingsuccess.co.uk/blog for more writing resources and updates or follow me on Twitter @JaneBettany