Wireless Power to the People - Wireless Charging 101
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 4 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Learn the various wireless power methods in research and development today (including a few that are scams!)
- Learn the pros and cons of all the different wireless power methods and the ONE technology mature enough for mainstream consumer use
- Understand electromagnetic induction
- Intuitively understand resonance and LC resonant circuits
- Understand inductive coupling and resonant power transfer
- Build a circuit that can wirelessly power a small fan
- Build a wireless power circuit that can power an LED 15cm away
- Build a wireless power circuit that can power LEDs, electric motors and more 30cm away
- Understand "the skin effect" and how to mitigate it
- Understand the main components of modern commercial wireless charging systems (with emphasis on Qi)
- Understand how data communication works in Qi wireless power systems
- Use off the shelf hardware to wirelessly charge phones, Playstation controllers and other USB devices
- Use off the shelf hardware to wirelessly power any electronic device up to 4 watts
- Basic knowledge of electricity, resistors, capacitors, inductors, transistors, breadboards
- Basic knowledge of schematic reading, function generators and oscilloscopes if you want to recreate some of the experiments yourself
- The bill of materials is US$11 if you would like to replicate the experiments at home
Welcome to Wireless Power to the People, the course that brings wireless power to the masses. In this course you're going to learn the basics of the different types of wireless power being researched and developed today. Spoiler alert: Some of them work a lot better than others!
You're going to start out by learning the basics of magnetic induction. Then I will show you the power of resonance. Soon you're going to learn how to build a simple wireless powered LED. Things are really going to get interesting when you learn how to increase the power and range of the system, and wirelessly power LEDs, motors, fans and more up to 30cm away! And for the final project we're going to upgrade USB powered devices to be charged with wireless power.
If you have ever wondered how wireless charging works, this course is for you.
In the media we've seen countless stories of wireless charging using radio waves, vibration and more. Yet we still haven't seen these devices appearing in our homes. Millions of dollars in venture capital have been burned because investors did not fundamentally understand the various technologies used in wireless power.
In this course I'm going to cut through all the hype and explain the different types of wireless power being researched today... the pros and cons of each, which ones are viable, which ones are not, and why. Best of all, you will not need a PhD in physics to understand what is going on. Math in this course will be kept to a minimum, and the focus will be on developing an intuitive, visual understanding of the concepts involved.
During the course I am going to be showing you some wireless charging experiments that will require a power supply, an oscilloscope, and a few electronic components. If you don't have these things and you don't feel comfortable building circuits, don't worry. You'll still have a ton of fun just watching the demonstrations and you'll be able to understand the magic behind wireless power. By the end of the course you will know how to wirelessly power any electronic device up to 4 watts! The basic principles taught in this course will scale to higher power levels if you choose to continue work in this field.
If you've ever wondered how a Samsung phone charges, this course is for you. If you have ever wondered how iPhone X and Apple Watch charging works, this course is for you. If you are a student or junior engineer who is looking to get up to speed on practical solutions to wireless power problems this course is for you. And if you're someone who is thinking of investing money in a crowdfunded wireless power project, do not spend a dime until you have watched this course!
Thank you for watching, and I hope to be teaching you soon!
- Anyone who wants to understand the magic behind wireless power technology
- Science and engineering students
- Technicians and junior engineers
- Investors looking to invest in wireless power projects
- Technophiles and gadget lovers