Winter Camping for Beginners
What you'll learn
- Each student will learn about cold camping, hot camping and hot tenting, understand their differences and learn how to safely perform each..
- Each student will be able to distinguish the appropriate clothing and footwear to accompany them on their adventure.
- Each student will learn how to create their own winter sleep system and understand how to make it comfortable, using R Ratings, temperature ratings & DIY items.
- Each student will know how to cook and store their food properly and are provided options of what to cook for each type of camping trip they chose to go on.
- Each student will have the knowledge to rent, purchase or borrow the correct gear suitable for their outing.
- Each student will learn the parts of a wood stove, all of the accessories available, and how to run a wood stove efficiently.
- Each student will learn tips and tricks to make their winter camping trip, as safe, easy and enjoyable, as possible.
- After completing this course, the student will have all the knowledge required to head out on a front country winter camping trip.
- A love or like of the outdoors and respect for others, nature and the environment.
- Some previous camping experience in other seasons is recommended, but not required.
Many people want to go on a winter camping trip, but don’t know how. There are so many things to learn, and many are vital to you having a good time and returning home, safe and unharmed. Everything in this course is explained simply, but in great detail. You are able to learn at your own pace, from anywhere that is convenient for you, and can go through the entire course in a day, or a year, it’s totally up to you.
I created this online course so people who are new to winter camping, or want to learn more about it, can have just one place to go to, to learn all of the things needed to head out on a front country winter camping trip. I have priced it economically, as my real passion is to have people head out in winter, with the knowledge required for a safe and successful adventure. I sincerely want people to embark on their adventure feeling confident and able to deal with most issues that will arise, and be able to handle them with ease.
In this course, you will find many sections each covering a specific topic. Each section will have lectures inside of it, which will go over the items related to that topic. Each lecture will consist of a short video, combined with pictures and examples to go along with what that lecture is covering. Each lecture will cover as much detail as needed for that particular subject. There are over 100 lectures in this course!
Some sections have resources at the end of them, and others have quizzes, so you can test your knowledge along the way. The entire course is also full of tips and tricks that I have learned over the years. You can pick and chose parts of this course, if you are already familiar with certain topics, but as each lecture is short, it is recommended that you view all of the lectures, as there are many ways to do things. You never know what new information you might discover.
My name is Christina, and I will be leading you through the course. I have over 30 years of experience camping, over 20 years backcountry camping and over 5 years of experience winter camping. Since my very first winter camping trip in 2015, I have immersed myself in the topic of winter camping, creating 3 of my very own hot tents, from scratch. Doing this has given me a huge amount of insight and knowledge and given me a reason to find out all there is to learn on this journey into camping in another season. As I was also a new winter camping, not that long ago, the information, along with tips and tricks I've learned along the way, are all top of mind. I have camped and still camp using every method in each lecture, and the entire course is not only based on my first hand experience, but also full of information that I've learned from other winter campers, by attending symposiums and winter camping shows, and by doing lots and lots of research.
I have created this entire course, from scratch, writing it from start to finish myself. Occasionally you may notice me reading the words I'm sharing with you while watching the videos. Please note they are all my words and notes that I am sharing with you, not someone else's. You will be receiving the benefit of my failures and successes, not only learned from front country winter camping, but also from the many solo winter backcountry trips I've successfully completed, some in extremely cold temperatures and challenging conditions.
So many people have fears associated with winter camping, but sometimes, fear can be disguised as a simple lack of knowledge. Learn about all the things you need to know while winter camping, and your fears should subside. With knowledge, you have power and my goal here is to give you as much knowledge as possible, so you are sufficiently prepared for your winter camping trip and it is filled with incredible moments that will last a lifetime. What are you waiting for? Let’s get started!
Who this course is for:
- My target students are people who are new to winter camping, or who would like to learn more about it.
- My target students have a love and respect for the outdoors and nature.
- My target students are interested in learning how to camp in the winter, and apply the information provided to their next winter camping trip.
My name is Christina, also known as Camper Christina and I have been backcountry camping since 2002. Since 2015, I have been going on solo backcountry camping trips in remote areas and camp year round in the province of Ontario, Canada. I love each and every challenge the outdoors has presented me with and overcoming obstacles is my biggest passion, in addition to exploring new and remote areas. With the experiences I've gone through, combined with many courses I've taken over the years, I've acquired quite a lot of information, tips and tricks that I'd like to share with you in this course.