What's YOUR Story? A beginners guide to storytelling!
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 16 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Starting from nothing to developing great ideas
- The framework to approach writing a great story every time
- The do and don'ts of storytelling
- Key public speaking skills
- Story Arcs
- Character development
- Plot development
- The importance of storytelling- the why!
- Over a dozen additional resources and materials
- Their unique story style
- Over a dozen bad jokes presented by the instructor
- The desire to capitivate audiences with YOUR ideas.
- A notebook and a pen.
- The willingness to have fun and create.
- Time and imagination
- The patience to put up with the instructor's bad jokes
Are you an actor that is tired of waiting around for the phone to ring? Have you dreamed of creating your own work but don't know where to begin?
Have you been asked to give a speech at your friend's wedding and terrified the crowd will fall asleep during your introduction?
Are you a business marketer tired of the same old " Buy this, it's on sale" campaign?
Are you that person when telling a story, often hear the response " Can you get to the point, you been telling this story since last Tuesday"?
It is widely known that stories work! It is the way we recapture and remember human experiences. Stories are part of our DNA. Good looks part of my DNA. Bad joke don’t use that. Stories entertain, make a point, teach a lesson, or sell a service, product or idea. No matter how you slice it, everybody relates to stories. The right story will also sell YOU.
If you want to make a great impact, hear people saying “ I heard her speak 8 years ago we got to have her back’ or would you rather be remembered as, "Oh yah I remember her speak. Totally caught up on my sleep".
Do you feel, my life is so boring. I’ve never climbed to the top of Everest, or overcome adversity, I’ve never even had food poisoning. I’ve got nothing interesting to say.That is the myth. If you’ve eaten gas station food, you’ve had food poisoning. It is not necessary to have experienced a life alternating event to tell a memorable story. I’m here to tell you that everybody has a story to tell and I can’t wait to hear yours.
Whether you are an entrepreneur, a performer, a public speaker, presenter, artist or you’re looking for better communication skills so you’re not stuck hanging out by the bean dip, or in my case the sangria, this course is for you!
In this course you will learn:
- Your own unique brand, voice and style
- How to brainstorm story ideas
- Finding your story
- Writing the outline of your story
- Writing skills that work
- Essential presentation skills that work
- How to find the right story using simple story mining techniques.
- How to find your unique style of storytelling allowing your authentic self to shine through.
- The do’s and don’t of storytelling
You will walk away with your first story and the framework to make further storytelling a cinch.
PLEASE NOTE THIS COURSE IS NOT FOR PROFESSIONAL WRITERS,AUTHORS OR STORYTELLERS. It is an introduction course for beginners only.
Why learn storytelling with Ally Lane ?
I live and breathe stories.I started telling stories from the moment I learned to speak. I was a compulsive liar.
I started my professional career as a playwright, screenwriter, actor and performer.
Today I continue to perform and write, and run a successful event entertainment company producing over 1000 shows including live plays, videos, films and keynote speeches.
I am a best selling author including a 'how to' book on writing and my own best selling memoir. I love to teach and I have taught writing and acting for over 20 years.
- Anyone who wants to tell a great story but has no idea where to begin.
- Event Speeches (weddings etc.)
- Business Presentations
- Actors and Artists looking to create their own work
- Individuals looking to develop better social interaction skills
- Anyone looking to learn a new skill
- NOT FOR PROFESSIONALS. This is a beginner course introducing the student to captivating storytelling.
- Anyone with a sense of humour and knows that the instructor must be Canadian by the way she spelled "humour"!
Stories are everywhere! We grew up with stories; family history, world history, books we read, films we watch, at school, television, a funny story at a party. You are exposed to storytelling each and every day.
You’ve been exposed to the impact of storytelling since the day you were born. They teach us how to communicate with language and emphasize valuable lessons.Stories are the most powerful tool we possess.
No matter who you are, your background or personality, YOU HAVE A STORY TO TELL. You may be asking “ But I haven’t suffered, or overcome adversity” or “ I’m not funny and don’t have an imagination”. First of all, that’s ridiculous, b.s, malarkey… You’ve been exposed to stories your whole life, so YOU TOO have a story to tell. Stories are naturally powerful and if chosen properly, they work!
Here are the main reasons why storytelling is such an effective communication tool.
Why Stories Work
- Stories make a point. People react to stories NOT information. If you want to get your information across, tell a story, and insert your facts and information into that story. They allow the listener to learn.
2. Stories make it memorable.
They take the listener on a journey. They are entertaining, insightful and fun. I’m sure you remember your favourite stories don’t you? They also help you remember the message.
3. Stories are relatable. Stories are character driven and everyone can relate to at least one of the characters. They see themselves in that character. It resonates with them. They immerse themselves into the story because they can relate to the character’s plight.
4. Stories create and reveal emotions.
Stories tap into part of what makes us all human. If you want to sell a product, don’t sell, tell. If you want to write a script, you must think about how you want the audience to react- laugh, cry, inspired, fear? Emotions are what drives us.
5. Stories build connections. All stories can create a bond between the teller and the receiver. Have you ever read a book, and immediately researched the author? Have you ever seen a really good commercial and immediately bought the product? Stories make you want to be part of a community.
Alright, so have I made my point? Stories are the bomb! In this course I will teach you how to create your story from the very beginning. You don’t need any ideas to start, just time, and a computer. Buckle up, it’s time for WHAT's YOUR STORY! Get ready to create a story that ROCKS!
No matter who you are, and what your experience is, you have a story to tell. The first step to finding your story is looking within and discovering what YOU enjoy. Tapping into your favourite memorable stories and genres will help you acknowlege your authenticity and what you personally enjoy.
Whether you are seeking unique storytelling in business, look within and tap into those memorable speeches or presentations.
Are you a writer or performer? What are your favourite books, movies or programs?
Stay true to YOU! I promise,the ideas will flow!
We all know Steven King is great at horror. I'm scared just thinking about it.
Oprah? Well, she loves to inspire and give away free cars!
When we think of an individual, what is the first thing that comes to mind? What about a business? What message is coming through? NIKE is all about taking that plunge, JUST DO IT!
So dive in and take that plunge, what's your brand. How do you wnat to be remembered as a storyteller? What emotions do you want to evoke from your stories?
Knowing your audience is the most important lesson of all! If you don't know who your audience is and what they want, then how do you know where to go? It is like taking a drive with no destination. A little fun, but in the end you run out of gas and have nothing to show for it.
What emotions do you want them to feel?
Is there a goal in mind? To educate, to learn a lesson, to laugh etc?
Show respect for your audience by always putting them first. If you want to sell a product, what does the audience get out of it? Don't make it about you. It is always about them!
This is the struggle isn't it? Many times in my life, I have encountered individuals express to me, "I really want to, but I have no idea what to write about."
I get it. This is what this course is all about. Finding YOUR story.
The next three lessons will give you a framework to use time and time again to create great story ideas.
Not every idea is going to be genius! The Rule of 10 means that out of every ten ideas, there will be one that sticks.
Have you heard of the idea in marketing that a consumer must see an ad ten times before they react?
And comedians? Out of every ten jokes, there is one that is gold! In my case, that joke is more like unpolished brass, but I digress.
Don't be dismayed if your ideas aren't golden every time. They are designed not to be. This is all part of the process.
The theme of a story is what the creator is trying to convey or the central idea of the story. The theme of a story is woven all the way through the story, and the characters' actions, interactions, and motivations all reflect the story's theme.
This lesson will help you find your theme.
Characters are the driving force behind the story,because they, essentially, tell that story. Why do you think Hollywood actors make the big bucks? They are the storytellers. Even if you are telling a personal story, it involves characters. You, believe it or not, are a character in your own story. Watch this lesson to learn more.