What is the Problem with Corporate Fraud?
What you'll learn
- The student will learn about the elements of the tort and crime of insurance fraud.
- The student will be able to:
- Explore the various types of insurance fraud faced by an insurer.
- Understand the state laws requiring insurers to investigate fraud.
- Identify the facts that cause an insurer to conduct a thorough fraud investigation.
- Identify how a fraud investigation will delay resolution of a claim.
- Identify the duties of the insured when fraud is suspected or indicated.
- No Advanced Preparation or Prerequisites are needed for this course.
This course explains the facts of insurance fraud, the elements of the tort of insurance fraud, the elements of the crime of insurance fraud, and how it affects the insured, the insurer, and the property owners. The course discusses the effect fraud has on the insurance industry and how insurance professionals have been compelled, by statute, to thoroughly investigate suspected fraud. The course also explains how investigations are conducted, what facts lead an insurer to suspect that an insurance fraud is being attempted, and what the insured can expect from an insurer if it suspects fraud – whether in good faith or not.
The course covers the following:
- What is insurance fraud?
- Insurance fraud and the tort of bad faith.
- Insurance fraud and the evidence of good faith and fair dealing.
- The red flags of fraud.
- The tort of insurance fraud.
- The crime of insurance fraud.
- Obligations of insurers when insurance fraud is suspected.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in accounting, finance, business law, risk management, or related fields.
Illumeo, incorporated in 2009, is revolutionizing the hide-bound world of corporate learning. Illumeo works with corporate professionals and organizations of all sizes to build the skills and capabilities that help everyone be an expert at their job.
Based in Silicon Valley, CA, Illumeo serves thousands of corporations and corporate professionals across Finance, Accounting, Human Resources, Sales and Marketing. The platform offers assessments, industry-benchmarked competency analyses, hundreds of expert-developed courses, collaborative tools, and the ability for companies to self-publish internal courses that promote institutional knowledge retention and dissemination.
Illumeo is the place for expertise management and we are dedicated to the proposition that everyone can be an expert at their job.
Barry Zalma, Esq., CFE, has practiced law in California for more than 42 years as an insurance coverage and claims handling lawyer. He now limits his practice to service as an insurance consultant and expert witness specializing in insurance coverage, insurance claims handling, insurance bad faith and insurance fraud almost equally for insurers and policyholders. He also serves as an arbitrator or mediator for insurance related dispute
He founded Zalma Insurance Consultants in 2001 and serves as its only consultant.
Consultant/Expert Witness : Zalma Insurance Consultants - [2009-07 to Current]
Consult with policy holders and insurers about claims handling and bad faith issues.
Attorney : Barry Zalma, Inc. - [1979-10 to Current]
Represent clients involved in litigation dealing with insurance, insurance coverage and insurance claims handling and insurance bad faith.
Senior Claims Representative : Fireman's Fund American Insurance Compan - [1967-09 to 1972-02]
Investigate and adjust claims presented to the Fireman's Fund insurance company by its insureds or by claimants seeking damages from the persons insured.
Special Agent, Intelligence : US Army Intelligence School - [1964-01 to 1964-12]
Became a US Army Intelligence Special Agent and Special Agent, US Army Intelligence Corps, Peoria, Illinois, residence office.
JD, Law : The University of West Los Angeles - [1967 to 1971]
AB, Philosophy : Claremont Men's College (Now Claremont McKenna College) - [1960 to 1963]