What is KiCad about? Starting with KiCad ...
- No previous KiCad knowledge is required.
KiCad is a very popular free CAD software to draw schematic and do PCB Layout. This course will help you to learn more about KiCad.
You will learn how to
Create schematic symbol and footprint
Route a simple PCB
Generate documents to manufacture PCB
Goal of this course
The main goal of this course is to go through a board design process (Schematic + Libraries + PCB + Outputs) to demonstrate and practice all the essential KiCad features which can be then used to create more complex boards.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for everyone who would like to start designing boards or start working with KiCad.
- 01:32What is this course about
- 05:09Installing & Examples
- 06:16Starting a project, Creating Schematic Symbol
- 10:19Creating Footprint
- 01:52Adding 3D model to footprint
- 02:27Assigning Footprint to Symbol, Updating Symbol
- 04:39Drawing Schematic
- 01:36Importing Schematic into PCB and Placement
- 06:13Doing Layout
- 01:27Rules & Settings
- 02:293D model, Updating Footprint, Assembly layer
- 02:21DRC Check
- 03:55Generating outputs: Schematic PDF, Gerbers, Drill File
- 03:10Generating outputs: Assembly Drawing, Pick & Place, BOM
- 01:19Thank you
Robert has designed motherboards based on Intel, AMD, VIA processors. His Youtube hardware design videos have over 4 million views. Robert also teaches Schematic Design and PCB Layout at FEDEVEL Academy.
Other Robert's courses
- Advanced PCB Layout (includes high speed layout)
- Advanced Hardware Design (Schematic & PCB Design Course)
- Learn Altium Essentials (Switching Power Supply Design Course)
- Learn the Essentials of creating uBoot, Linux and YOCTO
- Learn OrCAD & Allegro Essentials
Open Source Hardware Development
All Robert's courses are based on real projects. This way, everyone has an opportunity to practice and learn on real boards. Robert has lead and supported development of several Open Source boards used in his courses:
- 28Pins: Based on Arduino Project
- iMX6Rex: Boards based on iMX6 1.2GHz ARM CPU
- OpenRexKit: Education kit to learn programming and electronics
Robert has skills and experience in following areas (10+ years)
- electronic product hardware development (from idea to product)
- schematic design & PCB layout (including high speed design)
- hardware debugging, assembling, verification and testing
- processor and microcontroller board design (x86, MIPS, ARM …) based on Intel, VIA, AMD, Texas Instruments, Freescale, NXP, Qualcomm, Atmel, Microchip, ST ... including Linux and Windows CE compilation, driver modification, microcontroller firmware programming
- interfaces and peripherals: DDR3, DDR2, DDR, FSB, PCI Express, Gb Ethernet, SATA, PCI, ITP, GSM, GPS, CF, PCMCIA, IDE, ISA, LVDS, SDVO, RGB, Composite TV, VGA, HDMI USB, SD, PS2 Keyboard, Mouse, Audio, Touchscreen, JTAG, RS485, CAN, RS232, SPI, I2C, ISDN, PSTN, WiFi, miniPCI, PCIE minicards, COM Express, ZigBee, CPLD, FPGA designs (Xilinx, Altera ...)
- Software: Altium Designer, Cadence Allegro (Orcad, Spectra ...), PADS, Microsoft Visual C++, Delphi, Xilinx ISE, ispLEVER, AVR Studio ...
- programming languages C/C++, VHDL, ABEL, Assemblers, Html, Perl, PHP ...
- design for mass production / cost effective solutions
- EMC design, testing and measurement