What is campaigning?
- You should be able to use a PC at beginner level
Are there things that you would like to change and have you ever thought that you would like to know more about campaigning? If so, then this short course is just for you. By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Define campaigning
- Understand the different approaches to campaigning
- Know what makes for an effective campaign
Based on my practical experience from around the world supporting people campaign for policy and practice change, this course will give you an introduction to campaigning and aims to fire your enthusiasm to learn more about how you can campaign for change.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to know more about campaigning
- 03:45What is campaigning?
- 04:13Approaches to campaigning
- 03:38The TEA test
- 03:49What makes for a good campaign
- 04:46How policy change happens
- 03:08What qualities do campaigners need?
- 01:31Conclusion and next steps
- 07:32Bonus lecture: campaigning and storytelling
- 4 questionsWhat is campaigning?
Jonathan is an independent campaigner and teacher supporting charities and not-for-profits to campaign for change around the world . He has built a strong and successful track record of leading successful advocacy campaigns over the past 20 years. He led one of OXFAM GB’s global campaigns, has led successful UK campaigns on refugee and housing issues, and until recently led policy, research and advocacy for the British Red Cross.
He has extensive experience of supporting the development of advocacy campaigns across the world including: the Balkans, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Haiti, Nigeria, Peru, Senegal, Somaliland, South Africa, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand and across Europe. He was also a visiting lecturer at City University in London on the MA in political communication from 2012-2015.
Among his voluntary roles, Jonathan is National Chair of City of Sanctuary UK (building a national movement in defence of asylum seekers and refugees).
Born in South Africa, he was educated at Durham (BA Hons History), Leicester (PGCE), Loughborough (MBA) and City (PG Certificate in Academic Practice) universities. He is a qualified teacher and a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.