Inventing Original Stories from First Principles.
What you'll learn
- Identify the essential features of ANY story
- Recognize a complete story idea
- Identify what's missing from, and complete, a story idea
- Incorporate your theme or message effectively and subtly in a story
- Invent unlimited original story ideas
- It will help you if you refresh your memory of a specific story you've written before you start the course
This is a course about stories, and about storytelling, over 6 lectures - an intro, four lessons, and a conclusion, by the end of which you will be able to take the analogy I have chosen - more - you'll be able to picture it well enough that you'll be able to carry it with you wherever you go, and use it at any time.
Through this course, you will discover the truth that underlies all stories - and that will enable you to trigger the reader's imagination, provoke the reader's desire to read your story.
But also, you'll be able to invent new stories whenever you need them. No more searching the web or mining your mind for story prompts. You'll always be only a few simple questions and a comparison with a child's toy away from a great story idea.
Is it "child's play?"
No. You're going to have to engage yourself both imaginatively and intellectually - but that's a core skill for an author.
This course will help you to see what you're already doing right - understand why your best stories work so well.
This course will help you see what you're doing wrong - understand why some stories just don't seem to want to get written.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for anyone who wants to write fiction
- This course is suitable both for new and experienced writers
- This course is useful both for writing and for live or improvised storytelling
- You may find this course easier if you have already written a story
I've spent the last 10 years working with authors to get their books ready for publication, and then getting them published in the new e-book/e-reader/print-on-demand market. Some of my authors have gone on to get publishing contracts, and others are both traditionally and self published, including multi-award-winner Kary English.
My regular clients rely on me to understand and stimulate their creative process. We work together from development of the first story idea , through the drafting, redrafting and editing, right up to packaging and book launch; or they call me in at whatever stage they need me.