Free Website Analytics without Google
What you'll learn
- Set up tracking code on a website, so they can understand how visitors arrive at the site, and what they do while on the site.
- Customize the Analytics Dashboard so they can see quickly at a glance the information that is most important to them.
- Use a variety of standard reports to view website traffic, where it comes from and what it does when on site.
- Use Link Maps to see which links on the page are attracting clicks, and which are not.
- Use Click Maps to view heat maps showing exactly where visitors on clicking on their web pages.
- Use Scroll Maps to understand which parts of a webpage are keeping visitors interested, and which parts are being skipped over.
- Analyze visitor behaviour filling out forms, using the built-in Form Analysis tools.
- Use WebVisor to watch exactly what visitors get up to on their site, including mouse moves, clicks, keypresses and more.
- Understand the settings inside the Yandex Metrica interface.
- Set up goals, and track conversions.
- Students don't need any prior knowledge, as all training will be given.
- Students taking this course should have a website of their own, or want to build one.
A lot of website owners are suspicious of Google's motives for offering Google Analytics and look for an alternative. A very popular alternative is Yandex Metrica. This course will show you how to set up Yandex Metrica tracking on your own website, and use the Dashboard to investigate, track and even spy on your website visitors.
Watch over the shoulder as a visitor arrives
What would you give to be able to watch over the shoulder as someone arrives on your site? Yandex Metrica actually gives you that ability with it's Webvisor technology. You can see a replay of every visit showing exactly what the visitor did, where they clicked, where they spent the most time, and what they skipped over. What would you do with that information? Modify your pages perhaps to put important calls to action in the areas of the pages that visitors seem to spend the most time looking at?
What's in this course?
This course starts at the very beginning and shows you how to get started with Yandex Metrica. We'll go step-by-step through the installation process to get the analytics code on your web pages. We'll also look at the Metrica Dashboard and how you can customize what is displayed using widgets.
You'll discover how to use the standard reports to see details of:
- Traffic, pageviews, bounce rate and more.
- Sources of traffic - where do your visitors come from, which keyword did they search for to find your site, and which social networks are sending you traffic.
- User demographics - find out where your visitors live and their long-term interests. Find out age and gender, and how frequently they return to your website.
- Content - which page do they enter your site through, and which one do they leave your site through. See which external links on your pages are clicked, and which social shares a page gets.
- Website monitoring - check the load on your server, traffic by the minute and page load times. Metrica can even send you an email or SMS if your site goes down.
You'll also learn about:
- Link maps - which show you which links on a page are clicked (including exact figures), and which are not.
- Click maps - showing a heatmap of visitor mouse clicks. Know exactly where your visitors are clicking on your pages.
- Scroll maps - a special heat map that shows which areas of a web page get the most attention. Great for knowing where to insert your most important call to action.
- Form analysis - using the built in tools, you'll be able to troubleshoot your forms, knowing which parts of a form are causing your visitors a problem.
You'll learn about segmentation. You see, your visitors are made up of "segments" of the population, based on age, gender, location, interests, how they've interacted with your site, and lots more. You have the power to only view specific segments of your traffic. If you only want to see the details of visits by females aged between 18-24, you can do it. Or maybe you want to look at the webvisor recording of visits that lasted less than 20 seconds? Reckon you could use those videos to troubleshoot pages with high bounce rates? I do.
What will you get out of this course?
By the end of this course, you'll finally have your finger on the pulse of your website traffic. You'll know how people are finding your site and what they do while they are there. You'll finally be in control of your website, and be in a position to maximize profits by better understanding the needs and behaviour of your visitors.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for anyone that owns a website. This course will show you how to analyze your site traffic, see how that traffic arrives at your site and what it does when it gets there.
- This course is for anyone that wants to learn more about web visitor tracking.
- If you do not have a website, then this course is not for you.
I have written and published a number of books that are available on Amazon, including books on WordPress ("WordPress for Beginners 2023"), Self-Publishing ("Self-Publishing on Amazon 2022"), and search engine optimization ("SEO 2021"). I also run a website called ezSEONews, where I provide tutorials on a number of skills required for running a successful website.
As an ex-schoolteacher, I hope I can make complicated topics simple to understand. I certainly enjoy trying!