Web Accessibility: Learn Best Practices, Tools & Techniques
What you'll learn
- Have an in-depth understanding of what it means to have an accessible website.
- Possess the tools to identify problems which have been restricting the use of your website.
- The knowledge to take action and quickly resolve any accessibility issues.
- A list of guidelines which help to ensure you & your website are protected from legal action fuelled by an inaccessible website.
- 12 modules of quality, full of useful examples, and 10 cheat sheet resources compiled by U1 accessibility professionals.
- The confidence to implement accessibility having completed 10 quizs in total.
- Students should have a basic understanding of how websites are built, how they work and how people interact with them. HTML knowledge is beneficial, but not mandatory.
As website designers/developers and UX designers, website accessibility is often something that is pushed to the bottom of the pile. The guidelines can be tricky, clients don't always appreciate the reasons behind it, and, to be honest, in the absence of an informed argument other competing factors always win out.
But what if you could stand out from the crowd? UX, and more specifically, accessibility is becoming more and more important, and in some industries it's a legislative requirement.
We've created a simple and easy to follow course which holds your hand through the accessibility process.
During 2003 the Australian Bureau of Statistics revealed that one in five people had a disability. Can you really risk marginalising up to 20% of your website's visitors with an inaccessible website?
Why this course?
U1 Group's unparalleled accessibility expertise and face-to-face teaching experience not only demystifies website accessibility, but allows you to put it into practice on your website.
You'll see how we practically apply guidelines to many common aspects of websites, which dramatically benefits your learning process.
After completing this course you will hold a competitive advantage over other designers and will be able to add tremendous value to your clients.
What will I learn?
This course comprises of 12 modules, 10 downloadable 'cheat sheets', and will provide you with meaningful tools which will allow you to confidently develop accessible websites.
Topics covered in this course include:
- A crash course in to accessibility.
- Ensuring your website is navigable by all users.
- Creating accessible text content.
- How to apply accessibility techniques to multimedia content.
- How to optimise the use of colour to enhance accessibility.
- How you can create more accessible forms.
- Guidelines for creating accessible images and non-text elements.
- How to design and implement accessible HTML tables.
- How to enhance the accessibility of dynamic and rich internet content, and
- Guidance on selecting an accessible content management system (CMS)
If you have any involvement in UX design or website development, then this course is for you.
Without this knowledge you run the risk of losing work to more qualified professionals, or worse yet, leaving your clients open to litigation due to having an inaccessible website.
Who this course is for:
- Web programmers, designers and/or developers
- Internal & external communications staff
- Webmasters & content strategists
- Web writers, editors & publishers
- UX Designers
With consumers using digital products every day, you need to be certain you’ve got the right insight and strategy to move forward with success.
That's why at Loop11, our mission is to provide clients with crystal clear certainty in digital execution. This means uncovering the valuable insights that make or break digital platforms and recommending bespoke solutions that align strategy and resources.
We are made up of a dedicated team of User Experience (UX) devotees around the globe. Since 2009, we've pioneered the UX field and helped many top-tier clients across sectors such as government, finance, education, not-for-profit, and retail engage more effectively with audiences.
When it comes to the fundamentals of digital experience – user research, insight, and strategy – we’re the best in the business. And that’s why we’ve been around for 10 years. Since the beginning, we have tried and tested thousands of digital experiences and been fortunate enough to work with all kinds of clients with diverse business challenges. We understand how people interact with the digital world.